Grounded vs Ungrounded Thermocouples for Tube-Skin Temperature Measurement

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of multiple thermocouples in a flame tube design and the potential interference between them due to the common ground connection. It is suggested to use an instrumentation amplifier or avoid grounding one leg of the thermocouple to prevent interference.
gball
Hello All,

We are experimenting with a flame tube design (quite literally, a flame within a tube). We are looking to get a temperature profile along this tube. So, we will need multiple thermocouples along this tube. I'm wondering whether it will be necessary to go to ungrounded (isolated) thermocouples for this since grounded thermocouples (junction connected to sheath) would all be electrically connected to each other since they are all on the same tube. Would this present a 'ground loop' problem?

Would this be a problem? Would there be interference between the thermocouples? I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,

gball

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think they would interfere. But it depends on your read out method. If you use an instrumentation amplifier you might be fine. But if you tie one leg of the thermocouple to ground at the read out circuit you will produce another thermocouple: "grounded leg of thermocouple 1 - contact at temperature 1 with pipe - pipe - contact at temperature 2 with pipe - grounded leg of thermocouple 2". This will shift your voltage I think.

0xDEADBEEF said:
I think they would interfere. But it depends on your read out method. If you use an instrumentation amplifier you might be fine. But if you tie one leg of the thermocouple to ground at the read out circuit you will produce another thermocouple: "grounded leg of thermocouple 1 - contact at temperature 1 with pipe - pipe - contact at temperature 2 with pipe - grounded leg of thermocouple 2". This will shift your voltage I think.
Many thanks! I can see what you mean now. No common ground!

1. What is the main difference between grounded and ungrounded thermocouples for tube-skin temperature measurement?

The main difference between grounded and ungrounded thermocouples is the way they are installed on the surface of the tube. Grounded thermocouples have their measuring junction in direct contact with the tube, while ungrounded thermocouples have an insulating layer between the measuring junction and the tube.

2. Which type of thermocouple is more accurate for tube-skin temperature measurement?

Grounded thermocouples are generally considered more accurate for tube-skin temperature measurement. This is because the direct contact with the tube allows for better heat transfer and more accurate temperature readings.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using grounded thermocouples for tube-skin temperature measurement?

Yes, there can be safety concerns when using grounded thermocouples in certain environments. The direct contact with the tube can potentially create a ground loop, which can cause electrical interference and pose a safety hazard. Proper grounding techniques must be followed to ensure safe operation.

4. Can ungrounded thermocouples be used for high temperature applications?

Yes, ungrounded thermocouples can be used for high temperature applications. The insulating layer helps protect the measuring junction from extreme heat, allowing for accurate temperature measurement.

5. Which type of thermocouple is more suitable for corrosive environments?

Ungrounded thermocouples are more suitable for corrosive environments. The insulating layer helps protect the measuring junction from corrosive materials, prolonging the lifespan of the thermocouple. Grounded thermocouples can be more susceptible to corrosion due to their direct contact with the tube.