1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Group generated by Z_p and Z_q ?

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{p}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{q}[/tex] are (within themselves) abelian by the fact they each only have one generator, say [tex]\omega_{p}[/tex] and [tex]\omega_{q}[/tex]. However, when combined, they aren't (in general).

Is there a systematic way of generating all the different elements in the group with generators [tex]\omega_{p}[/tex] and [tex]\omega_{q}[/tex]? I'm currently only working with [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2}[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{3}[/tex], but there's 12 elements in the group generated by both of them and if I do it in a combinatorical way I get huge amounts of the same elements in my end list.

Is there a way to stream line it a bit so that minimal repetition of the same elements occurs? Obviously I can do it by hand for my example (and I did) but I'm looking to automate it for groups up to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{12}[/tex] and that'll be out of the question by hand and unless there's a nice way, computationally intensive.

Thanks for any help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How are you "combining" these two groups?

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    I'm considering the action of these groups on a 6d torus so it comes down to saying a symmetry alters the 6 coordinates. Specifically :

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_{2} \quad \theta &:& (x^{1},y^{1},x^{2},y^{2},x^{3},y^{3}) \to (x^{1},y^{1},-x^{2},-y^{2},-x^{3},-y^{3}) [/tex]
    [tex]\mathbb{Z}_{3} \quad \phi &:& (x^{1},y^{1},x^{2},y^{2},x^{3},y^{3}) \to (x^{3},y^{3},x^{1},y^{1},x^{2},y^{2}) [/tex]

Therefore I can write them as matrices (with each '1' being the 2x2 identity matrix) :

[tex]\theta = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    1 \\ & -1 \\ & & -1
    \end{array} \right) [/tex]
    [tex]\phi = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
    \quad & \quad & 1 \\ 1 \\ & 1 & \quad
    \end{array} \right)[/tex]

The various ways of combining [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] then lead to 12 different matrixes. [tex]\phi[/tex] gives 3 different layouts for the non-zero entries and depending on where you put [tex]\theta[/tex] in the matrix operator sequence, you shuffle around where the 1's and -1's are (there's 4 different ones for each layout).

At present I'm just computing all combinations of [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] which go up to length 5 (since I'm working with Z_2 and Z_3) and that covers everything.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?