Proving Existence of Element of Order n in Finite Group via Homomorphism

• Thread starter strangequark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses a homomorphism from a finite group G onto G', and how to prove that G contains an element of order n if G' has an element of order n. The conversation suggests looking at properties of preimages and subgroup divisibility theorem to find a solution. An analogy is given of a large gear driving a small gear with every tooth of the large gear striking the same tooth of the small gear on every revolution.
strangequark

Homework Statement

Suppose that [tex]\phi[/tex] is a homomorphism from a finite group G onto G' and that G' has an element (g') of order n. Prove that G has an element of order n.

Homework Equations

for a homomorphism,
1) [tex]\phi(a*b)=\phi(a)*\phi(b)[/tex]
2) [tex]\phi(a^{n})=(\phi(a))^{n}[/tex]
3) [tex]\phi(e_{G})=e_{G'}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It is clear to me that G will contain some non-identity element, say g, which is the preimage of g'. By property 2) that I listed above, [tex]g^{8}[/tex] is obviously an element of the kernal of G, and the homomorphism is not the trivial map because [tex]g^{n}[/tex] for 0<n<8 is not the identity in G and doesn't map to the identity in G'. Basically, I'm seeing that [tex]g^{8}[/tex] maps to the identity in G', but I don't understand why this implies that [tex]g^{8}=e[/tex]...

I would really appreciate a kick in the right direction... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're completely right. It doesn't imply g^8 = e. You're going to have to do a bit more work than just finding an element of the preimage of g'. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble coming up with the exact proof off the top of my head, so I can't give you much of a kick in the right direction. Look at some properties of preimages of subgroups maybe?

Let T(a)^8=I', then a has to have an order n*8, and (a^n)^8=I
This is also summarized by some subgroup divisibility theorem; but it's been to long for me to remember.
For an Image: Imagine a large gear driving a small gear but every tooth of the large gear strikes the same tooth of the small gear on every revolution.

1. What is a group homomorphism?

A group homomorphism is a function that maps elements from one group to another while preserving the group structure. In other words, the operation of the first group is preserved in the second group.

2. How is a group homomorphism different from a group isomorphism?

While a group homomorphism preserves the group structure, a group isomorphism is a bijective homomorphism, meaning it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that a group isomorphism not only preserves the group structure, but also preserves the individual elements and their relationships between the two groups.

3. What is the kernel of a group homomorphism?

The kernel of a group homomorphism is the set of elements in the domain group that are mapped to the identity element in the codomain group. It is denoted as Ker(f) and is a subgroup of the domain group.

4. How do you determine if a function is a group homomorphism?

In order for a function to be a group homomorphism, it must satisfy the property f(ab) = f(a)f(b) for all elements a and b in the domain group. This means that the function must preserve the group operation.

5. Can a group homomorphism also be an isomorphism?

Yes, a group homomorphism can also be an isomorphism if it is both one-to-one and onto. This means that it not only preserves the group structure, but also preserves the individual elements and their relationships between the two groups.