Guidance for a career in researching metamaterials.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mnimetic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Career Guidance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Mnimetic
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
It's a subject that has interested me since I can remember and now that I've finally finished up all of my basic chemistry, math, and physics classes I want to figure out what direction I can put myself into as far as what classes are best suited to lead me in that direction. I'm currently enrolled as a Chemistry major at UMKC but plan on maybe changing to a minor in physics and/or computer science.

I'd really like to hear from someone who knows something about the field or knows someone that knows someone, etc... about what classes they thought were most important.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm researching metamaterials (simulation and experiment) for my Ph.D.

By far, the most important subject for metamaterials research is electromagnetism. Understanding E&M is essential. In particular, you should make an effort to understand electromagnetism in material media.

I think physics or electrical engineering is the best major if you want to study metamaterials.
 
Which particular aspect/qualities are you researching?