Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guidance for improving practical skills

1. Mar 11, 2013 #1
    hello all, i am a second year computer systems engineering student, after my first year i have done well in the theory. but i find i learn so much more when a unit has practical backing. i have decided to build an electronics lab so that i may practice various topics in engineering that i learn at university. i have seen the 'useful EE links,' as well as having loads of books. These are great sources of info. I was wondering however, where is the best place to start when doing things like this. im still very inexperienced, so im a bit lost on where to start.

please any suggestions are greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2013 #2
    Design and build any basic feedback control system.
    You can do it with ether discrete circuits or some type of
    USB enabled interface.
    Once you have the basics down, experiment with different feedback loops.

4. Mar 11, 2013 #3
    so would you be referring to sensor systems? those used in instrumentation?

5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What classes are you taking now, and what classes are up next after that?

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    instrumentation and measurement, digital electronics are the two tech units i have(as well as a math unit and a management unit). next semester is computer architecture, microprocessor systems, electronic circuit design and signals & systems. I have done analog electronics already and software design principles already, the latter deals with being able to write and structure good code for use with any programming language but specifically java.

7. Mar 12, 2013 #6
    Yes, any type of input that your circuit/program can respond to.
    The important part is learning about feedback and how the changing
    inputs effect the output and overall system.
    In the digital would it looks like a state table.

8. Mar 12, 2013 #7
    yeah, I thought that that may give us a good all round introduction to electronics in the lab. thank you for your help.

Also berkeman, i would like to hear any suggestions you may have.

thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook