Guidance on Sensor Choices for High Speed Impact Sensing

In summary: I think you would be best off looking for something like the one shown in the link. It has a USB interface so you can directly access the data.
ConnorM
I am a fourth year biomedical and mechanical engineering student and my final project has to do with designing a crash test dummy. The end goal is to mount the dummy on a bicycle and launch it at ~20kh/h, then it will be struck by an automobile driving at ~30km/h. Various different impact scenarios (side, rear, etc.) will be tested.

My task has to do with sensing/measuring the impact force, and the accelerations on the dummy's head. I have never dealt or learned anything about sensors so I am looking for some guidance on what sort of sensors I should be looking at. This project will have some small amount of funding so I clearly cannot go out and purchase $500 devices.

Right now I know that I will be concerned with the sampling rate as it must be able to measure and record the moment of impact. I have looked around and read that a gyroscope may be a good idea for acceleration measurement. I'm not quite sure what to look for in force sensors, however, the impact force may be somewhere around 4 kN.

If anyone could provide me with somewhere to start, either sensor reccomendations or something to read to help me understand what I should be looking for that would be great.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For a purely mechanical accelerometer, maybe a captive mass sliding on a bar, spring loaded holding the mass at one end of the bar, a ratchet mechanism so that the mass stays at the maximum displacement on the bar. Need one for each axis.

Here is a possible with a USB computer interface.
https://www.microdaq.com/onset-hobo-pendant-acceleration-data-logger.php

Try searching.
https://www.google.com/search?q=3-axis+accelerometer+data+logger
https://www.google.com/search?q=miniature+force+sensor+1000+lbs

I recall reading a thorough article in http://www.sensorsmag.com/ magazine regarding the sensors used in crash test dummy

Likes ConnorM

1. What are the key factors to consider when choosing a sensor for high speed impact sensing?

The key factors to consider when choosing a sensor for high speed impact sensing include the accuracy and precision of the sensor, its sensitivity to impact forces, its frequency response, its durability and robustness, and its compatibility with the measuring system.

2. What type of sensor is most suitable for high speed impact sensing?

The most suitable type of sensor for high speed impact sensing is a piezoelectric sensor. This type of sensor is highly sensitive to impact forces and can accurately measure high frequency impacts. It is also durable and can withstand high impact forces without getting damaged.

3. How do I determine the frequency response of a sensor for high speed impact sensing?

The frequency response of a sensor for high speed impact sensing can be determined by conducting a frequency sweep test. This involves subjecting the sensor to impacts of varying frequencies and measuring its response. The frequency at which the sensor produces the most accurate and consistent readings is its frequency response.

4. Can I use a standard sensor for high speed impact sensing?

No, a standard sensor is not suitable for high speed impact sensing. High speed impact sensing requires sensors that are specifically designed and calibrated for this purpose. Standard sensors may not be able to accurately measure high frequency impacts and may get damaged due to the high impact forces.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy of my high speed impact sensing measurements?

To ensure the accuracy of your high speed impact sensing measurements, it is important to properly calibrate your sensors, conduct regular maintenance and inspection, and follow the manufacturer's guidelines for installation and usage. It is also important to use sensors that have a high accuracy and precision, and to perform regular quality checks to verify the reliability of your measurements.