• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Guidance for someone with a B.A. in Physics

• Physics
  • Thread starter BeeBopTop
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I received a B.A. in Physics which was essentially pre-engineering. I then went on to study Chemical Engineering. During my first semester I realized that the engineering world was absolutely not for me. I absolutely love Physics however and thought of pursuing more physics education. I ruled out getting a Masters because many professors that I spoke with explained to me that a Masters in Physics is useless and to definitely get a PhD instead. I have also ruled out a Physics PhD for many reasons - the time it takes to get one, the rate at which physics departments are closing around the world, the price, not wanting to be a teacher, etc.

It is most likely that I am going to entirely switch up what I am doing and enter health care or something entirely different. However, I would just like to know - is there ANY job that I can get with just a B.A. in Physics? I have a 3.99 GPA and was awarded outstanding senior man during undergraduate.

Thank you for your time and help.

Answers and Replies

A M.S. in Physics isn't that useless, depending on what you're studying. If you're studying theoretical astrophysics, then that's probably not what employers are looking for. If you're studying semiconductor processing, then that's quite a bit different.