Guide to Inferring Colors on Alien Worlds: Star Class, Luminosity, Atmosphere

In summary, there is no definitive guide for predicting how color would be affected on alien worlds due to factors like star class, luminosity, atmospheric composition, etc. However, there are some resources available, such as remote sensing and studies on star color, that can provide some insight. It is difficult to determine the exact effects on indigenous lifeforms, but it is possible that there could be adaptations based on the available radiant energy. The color of the sky and skin tone could also be affected, but it is difficult to predict without more information.
Chatterton
Is there a guide, based on existing evidence, that I could use to infer realistically how color would be affected on alien worlds due to factors like star class, luminosity, atmospheric composition, etc? I'm planning to develop a not-too-too-distant future scenario where all the stars in question are stars we know a lot about, so how do I figure out simple things like what color the sky should be and how a blue/red star would alter skin tone and the like?

Also, just out of curiosity, would the indigenous photosynthetic plant life of these worlds necessarily still be green?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chatterton said:
Is there a guide, based on existing evidence, that I could use to infer realistically how color would be affected on alien worlds due to factors like star class, luminosity, atmospheric composition, etc? I'm planning to develop a not-too-too-distant future scenario where all the stars in question are stars we know a lot about, so how do I figure out simple things like what color the sky should be and how a blue/red star would alter skin tone and the like?

Also, just out of curiosity, would the indigenous photosynthetic plant life of these worlds necessarily still be green?
Here is a Venus image taken by the Soviet Venera 13 lander in 1982:
surface.jpg

Some atmospheric conditions can be determined by remote sensing, but we didn't know what the surface lighting would be until we got there.

Here is a page that discusses star color:
http://www.atnf.csiro.au/outreach/education/senior/astrophysics/photometry_colour.html

Depending on the star, it could appear to look quite dark to us, yet still provide a lot on energy to the planets around us. It's main colors may simply not be in out visible spectrum.

As far as vegetation: Of course we need to presume that there is any vegetation all. Given that, it would certainly be affected by available radiant energy. Even on Earth, underwater vegetation is affected. One key item is that photosynthesis as we know it, requires ionizing radiation - but hopefully not so ionizing that it destroys the foliage. So if color got too far into the IR or UV, there could be adaptation problems that require something more elaborate than simple photosynthesis.

Likes Chatterton
Chatterton said:
Is there a guide, based on existing evidence, that I could use to infer realistically how color would be affected on alien worlds due to factors like star class, luminosity, atmospheric composition, etc? I

Yes, but it's not easy to account for all the different factors, especially the atmospheric composition. The easiest method would probably be to just assume a "clear" atmosphere except for some minor scattering of shorter wavelength light, like what happens here on Earth. Then you only need to worry about the type of star the planet orbits.

Chatterton said:
how do I figure out simple things like what color the sky should be and how a blue/red star would alter skin tone and the like?

If you're referring to the color of indigenous lifeforms, then there's no way to realistically know what their skin tone would be. Just look at the huge number of skin colors and tones of the animals here on Earth. They come in pretty much every color and tone imaginable.

Likes Chatterton
Drakkith said:
If you're referring to the color of indigenous lifeforms...

Actually, I was more curious how it would affect things we're familiar with already, to help show the otherness of the new worlds. Would a red dwarf illuminating an Earth-like atmosphere give everything a pinkish tinge? That sort of thing.

Chatterton said:
Actually, I was more curious how it would affect things we're familiar with already, to help show the otherness of the new worlds. Would a red dwarf illuminating an Earth-like atmosphere give everything a pinkish tinge? That sort of thing.

That should be a little easier to figure out, but unfortunately I don't know the details of how to do so. :cry:

Likes Chatterton
Chatterton said:
For plant life this website could help.
http://www.solstation.com/life/a-plants.htm

1. How can we determine the color of a star on an alien world?

In order to determine the color of a star on an alien world, we first need to gather information about its star class, luminosity, and atmosphere. These factors will affect the wavelengths of light that are reflected and emitted by the star, ultimately determining its color.

2. What is star class and how does it impact the color of a star?

Star class refers to the temperature of a star, which is measured in Kelvin. This temperature affects the color of the star by determining the wavelengths of light that it emits. Cooler stars appear more red, while hotter stars appear more blue. This is known as the "blackbody curve."

3. How does luminosity play a role in determining the color of a star?

Luminosity is a measure of the total energy emitted by a star, and it is closely related to the star's mass and size. The luminosity of a star can impact its color by affecting the intensity of the light that is emitted. For example, a high luminosity star may appear brighter and have a more prominent color compared to a lower luminosity star.

4. What role does atmosphere play in determining the color of a star on an alien world?

The atmosphere of an alien world can have a significant impact on the color of a star. Different elements and molecules in the atmosphere can absorb certain wavelengths of light, altering the overall color of the star. Additionally, the presence of clouds or other atmospheric conditions can also affect the color of a star.

5. Can the color of a star on an alien world change over time?

Yes, the color of a star on an alien world can change over time. This can occur due to a variety of factors, such as changes in the star's temperature or luminosity, shifts in its atmosphere, or even interactions with other celestial bodies. Scientists continue to study and observe these changes in order to better understand the colors of stars on alien worlds.