1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guide to math needed to study physics

1. Jul 31, 2016 #1
    Hi.
    After studied General physics, I want to read some book about Theorical Physics. But Mathematics is very difficult. So can you show me the best way to math needed to study physics? From easy to difficult.
    Thanks for helping

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2016 #2
    First of all tell us what math you feel reasonably competent.

4. Jul 31, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That was not clear.
    Official Mathematics course "requirements" for undergraduate Physics degrees will usually list just Calculus 1,2,3, and a combination course of Introduction to Linear Algebra & Differential equations (if not two actual separate courses). The ACTUAL courses needed for someone who wants to do well go beyond those typically listed program "requirements".

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4
    Calculus 1,2,3? Can you introduce some books about it? I studied vector calculus and I think it in calculus 2. What is calculus 3? I read some books of Theorical Physics about searies, sums, ...And it seems difficult

6. Aug 1, 2016 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

1. Calculus and Analytic Geometry 1: Limits, Differentiation, Introduction to Integration, Continuity of Functions, academic and applied problem solving
    2. Calculus and Analytic Geometry 2: Techniques of Integration, Sequences and Series, some use of volumes and Integration, Conic Sections involving Integration
    3. Calculus and Analytic Geometry 3: Multivariable Calculus, Vectors and their use with Calculus,... other stuff...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted