Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guinness can be beneficial to the heart

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Is guinness good for you?

From Wiki,

Studies claim that Guinness can be beneficial to the heart. Researchers found that antioxidant compounds in Guinness, similar to those found in certain fruits and vegetables, are responsible for health benefits because they slow down the deposit of harmful cholesterol on the artery walls.[19][20]

Guinness ran an advertising campaign in the 1920s which stemmed from market research - when people told the company that they felt good after their pint, the slogan was born – "Guinness is Good for You". Guinness was told to stop using the slogan decades ago – and the firm still makes no health claims for the drink. Diageo, the company that now manufactures Guinness, said: "We never make any medical claims for our drinks." The company now runs advertisements that call for "responsible drinking". The old slogan is still used abroad however.[19]

Guinness may be unsuitable for a vegetarian diet, as the production process involves the use of isinglass, made from fish. It is used as a fining agent for settling out suspended matter in the vat.[21] The isinglass is retained in the floor of the vat but it is possible that minute quantities might be carried over into the beer

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Guinness

One thing I learned as a kid - anything that tastes that bad has to be good for you.

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Guinness Stout tastes great!

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Agree with Astro it is great, i have a box of 12 440ml cans, and wondered how many i need to drink to gain any benifit.

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5

Evo

Bring some over to my party. Are you going to spend the night with us?

7. Dec 31, 2008 #6

Guinness Draught tastes better! :biggrin:

8. Dec 31, 2008 #7

turbo

Gold Member

Guinness stout is great! My wife is going shopping after work today, and generally on a holiday like this, she'll pick up a 6-pack of Guinness, Beck's or Heineken. We'll see....

9. Dec 31, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

YES please.

10. Dec 31, 2008 #9

Astronuc

11. Dec 31, 2008 #10

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I love a good stout/porter, but I hate Guinness.

Usually things with "oatmeal" in the name are good, yes. The one we have in our fridge right now is Black Butte Porter (from Oregon). It's pretty good.

12. Dec 31, 2008 #11

Blasted underage.

13. Dec 31, 2008 #12

I enjoy the Guinness Stout myself. I am a fan of heavier/darker beers. I could never drink Coors or anything light. I need something that is thick, rich, and of motor oil consistency:tongue:

As for being healthy I am not sure. In moderation maybe, just like red wine.

14. Dec 31, 2008 #13

speaking of that, what's the deal with the foreign stout? did they used to put quinine in it or something?

15. Dec 31, 2008 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No it's just higher alcohol so lasts longer, like IPA (India Pale Ale) is brewed to last for the trip to India.

16. Jan 2, 2009 #15

I have to try Guinness some time. Ive heard a lot about it though.

17. Jan 2, 2009 #16

Guinness is my favourite beer, both draught and extra stout.

http://theguinnessdiet.blogspot.com/
    This guy famously tried the Guinness Diet Challenge for one week and blogged about it. Unfortunately I can't find his blog postings, they seem to be gone.

18. Jan 2, 2009 #17

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I do love IPA! Whenever I hear someone refer to isopropyl alcohol as IPA, my ears perk up...:!!)!

19. Jan 3, 2009 #18

mmm.. i love guinness

20. Jan 3, 2009 #19

I am a non-drinker and a non-smoker and plan to be that way my entire life.
    Cold ginger ale topped with vanilla ice cream wins.

21. Jan 3, 2009 #20

hmm, i wonder what that would be like with guinness instead...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?