Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys i need to build a hovercraft

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    hey guys i need to build a single seater hovercraft....

any ideas or suggetions.....????
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Atul.
    Just do a forums search right here. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on this subject, including a lift calculator that Russ provided.
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

i did google for it but the response wsnt all tht satisfactory.....

thnx dude,

i'll do tht.............

as per my current plan i m planning to use a about 20bhp motor coupled to a propeller and use guide vanes to direct the air to the skirt and to provide the required forward thrust....

but the problems that i m facing is with the design of the skirt and the mechanism for braking.....!!
  6. Apr 17, 2008 #5

Gold Member

With the exception of the machine that I designed (but haven't built yet), there is no braking system available that I know of other than reverse thrust.
    My system throws the lift and propulsion fans into reverse pitch, cranks the throttle, and drops a set of aircraft-type landing gear with hydraulic ABS brakes engaged.
  7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

For breaking, how about attaching a few rollerblade/skate brakes to manually operated levers?
  8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Gold Member

I was totally unaware that either skates or blades had any kind of brakes. Regardless, though, I doubt that either of those systems would have anything like the stopping power required of a passenger-bearing vehicle.
  9. Apr 17, 2008 #8
    reverse thrust option ws actually considered by me but its feasibility with my design is close too nil...... so i m thnkin bout an alternative mechanism....

plus does any body hv ne blue prints or design instructions for the skirt..........??
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?