Guys i need to build a hovercraft

• Thread starter Atul Nair
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

hey guys i need to build a single seater hovercraft....

any ideas or suggetions.....????

Answers and Replies

Google!!!

Danger
Gold Member
Welcome to PF, Atul.
Just do a forums search right here. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on this subject, including a lift calculator that Russ provided.

@robertm

i did google for it but the response wsnt all tht satisfactory.....

@danger

thnx dude,

i'll do tht.............

as per my current plan i m planning to use a about 20bhp motor coupled to a propeller and use guide vanes to direct the air to the skirt and to provide the required forward thrust....

but the problems that i m facing is with the design of the skirt and the mechanism for braking.....!!

Danger
Gold Member
With the exception of the machine that I designed (but haven't built yet), there is no braking system available that I know of other than reverse thrust.
My system throws the lift and propulsion fans into reverse pitch, cranks the throttle, and drops a set of aircraft-type landing gear with hydraulic ABS brakes engaged.

Mk
For breaking, how about attaching a few rollerblade/skate brakes to manually operated levers?

Danger
Gold Member
I was totally unaware that either skates or blades had any kind of brakes. Regardless, though, I doubt that either of those systems would have anything like the stopping power required of a passenger-bearing vehicle.

reverse thrust option ws actually considered by me but its feasibility with my design is close too nil...... so i m thnkin bout an alternative mechanism....

plus does any body hv ne blue prints or design instructions for the skirt..........??