Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys i need to build a hovercraft

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    hey guys i need to build a single seater hovercraft....

any ideas or suggetions.....????

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2
    Google!!!

4. Apr 17, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Atul.
    Just do a forums search right here. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of posts on this subject, including a lift calculator that Russ provided.

5. Apr 17, 2008 #4
    @robertm

i did google for it but the response wsnt all tht satisfactory.....

@danger

thnx dude,

i'll do tht.............

as per my current plan i m planning to use a about 20bhp motor coupled to a propeller and use guide vanes to direct the air to the skirt and to provide the required forward thrust....

but the problems that i m facing is with the design of the skirt and the mechanism for braking.....!!

6. Apr 17, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

With the exception of the machine that I designed (but haven't built yet), there is no braking system available that I know of other than reverse thrust.
    My system throws the lift and propulsion fans into reverse pitch, cranks the throttle, and drops a set of aircraft-type landing gear with hydraulic ABS brakes engaged.

7. Apr 17, 2008 #6

Mk

For breaking, how about attaching a few rollerblade/skate brakes to manually operated levers?

8. Apr 17, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I was totally unaware that either skates or blades had any kind of brakes. Regardless, though, I doubt that either of those systems would have anything like the stopping power required of a passenger-bearing vehicle.

9. Apr 17, 2008 #8
    reverse thrust option ws actually considered by me but its feasibility with my design is close too nil...... so i m thnkin bout an alternative mechanism....

plus does any body hv ne blue prints or design instructions for the skirt..........??

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook