Guys: where do you carry your stuff?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the expert summarizer recommends carrying a wallet in the front right pocket, keys in the front left pocket, and change in the change pocket in the jeans. They also suggest carrying a secure number generator and a USB flash drive.

What items do you carry with you at all times?

• Total voters
I thought they were called recorder bags, I've had one for years. I'm surprised: is it really a European thing? Maybe we have all been brainwashed into thinking its acceptable! Next I'll be carrying a purse and won't think anything of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's European, I tell you!

(Like I'd be caught dead toting one.)

I use a book-bag to carry all of my items.

I answered what I carry 100% of the time. However, 98% of the time, I have a book bag with me that contains many of the other items (including cell) and many other items (and may contain notebook computer, but that is only only about 30% of the time as I like to keep it as light as 'possible'). I am slightly less dependent on cell phones than younger folks (actually, I like being inaccessible to all communication at times).

PAllen said:
(actually, I like being inaccessible to all communication at times).

Yay! People like you still exist! :smile:

PAllen said:
I answered what I carry 100% of the time. However, 98% of the time, I have a book bag with me that contains many of the other items (including cell) and many other items (and may contain notebook computer, but that is only only about 30% of the time as I like to keep it as light as 'possible'). I am slightly less dependent on cell phones than younger folks (actually, I like being inaccessible to all communication at times).

Why not use an ipad as a cellphone via skype? A watch? A hologram watch?!

PAllen said:
... I am slightly less dependent on cell phones than younger folks (actually, I like being inaccessible to all communication at times).

Just because one carries a cell phone, doesn't mean one has to answer it every single time it beeps/rings/etc. :wink:

Dembadon said:
Just because one carries a cell phone, doesn't mean one has to answer it every single time it beeps/rings/etc. :wink:
Old school, in a young guy, unusual combination Dem. Just an observation.

Rhody... :redface:

Yeah, I was asking about all the time. Surely you guys don't carry your laptops to the bar or the County Fair?

DaveC426913 said:
Yeah, I was asking about all the time. Surely you guys don't carry your laptops to the bar or the County Fair?
My laptop barely makes it to the back deck. If I have to leave the house for some reason, the cell phone and the pocket-cam are in POCKETS!

DaveC426913 said:

That's a rhetorical question, right? Of course I do! :biggrin:

Ive become a minimalist with my pockets. I have a little Write in the Rain memo pad and pen that I carry, and I've noticed it gets a lot of attention because its yellow.. other than that I never carry a wallet.. I have my card and ID if i need it then the phone. that's it. I make it a goal to keep them empty...
however I do have a man purse (Timbuktu) that works as a great mobile-station for a sketchpad, tools, water, pens and markers, lasers.. etc.

From what I've seen, bicycle messenger bags seem to have become acceptable for men to use. Maybe it's the size of them that takes them out of the man bag category.

It has become quite common to see men toting laptop bags, no one needs to know that there's no laptop in there.

Likes gracy
I carry my wallet and cellphone at all times. When I need to jot down a memo, I use my cellphone. On occasion I will take a thumb drive with me but that is rare. If I need to take anything else I'll usually bring a backpack.

Keys in pocket. Notebook, pen and some journal articles in my messenger bag.

How could you not include journal articles in the poll?

Yes, I photocopy/print journals. No, I'm not in the English department. Yes, I know it's a waste of resources. Yes, I care. No, not that much.

DaveC426913 said:

I almost spit whiskey last night reading that in the bar.

And no, I don't take my laptop to the Country Fair. That would be stupid. They don't have WiFi there.

(google google google)

hmmm... Well then.. Maybe this year I will...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lLO_MC8Ne4

Whoa! How did they know 3 years ago that I'd find their video and post it this year? Freakin' OCF people are made of magic fairy dust or something...

Dembadon said:
I have a man-bag, or a purse if you like. It looks like the one on the top-left in the picture below:

I'd never be seen dead wearing one of those.

But I did buy one of these:

http://www.wayfair.com/Eddie-Bauer-Diaper-Bag-Organizer-in-Brown-EB4605BRN-ERB1072.html

Actually, I bought it for my daughter when I visited her for my granddaughter's first birthday. The diaper bag she had was crap! So I bought one that was better and didn't look quite so feminine. (And then made fun of the flowered diaper bag my brother-in-law had to carry around.)

And I have a Jeep baby travel bag for my grandson, since he frequently spends the night, meaning I have more stuff to carry (his silky, his musical glow worm, change of clothes, a movie or two, diapers, and other baby stuff).

But best is the carrier I have for our hikes:

Hiking with my grandson:
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8701/dscn1091a.jpg

Hiking with my granddaughter:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5185/dscn1698z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cellphone - front right pocket. School id, keys, money, gum - front left pocket. headphones - through my shirt dangling from my collar.

BobG said:

http://www.wayfair.com/Eddie-Bauer-Diaper-Bag-Organizer-in-Brown-EB4605BRN-ERB1072.html

Actually, I bought it for my daughter when I visited her for my granddaughter's first birthday. The diaper bag she had was crap! So I bought one that was better and didn't look quite so feminine. (And then made fun of the flowered diaper bag my brother-in-law had to carry around.)

And I have a Jeep baby travel bag for my grandson, since he frequently spends the night, meaning I have more stuff to carry (his silky, his musical glow worm, change of clothes, a movie or two, diapers, and other baby stuff).

But best is the carrier I have for our hikes:

Hiking with my grandson:
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/8701/dscn1091a.jpg

Hiking with my granddaughter:
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5185/dscn1698z.jpg
Very cute chilluns, Bob!

Last edited by a moderator:
BobG said:

Apart from storage potential, I don't see much of a difference between the bag in your link and a couple of the bags in the picture I posted. Some of them a pretty feminine, yes, but there's no reason to feel weird about carrying around a brown leather bag with your stuff in it.

my wallet and phone sit in my front pants pockets and switch back and forth sometimes. My flash drive used to be hooked to my keychain, but it broke :( so now it and my keys usually just sit in a jacket pocket or in one of my pants pockets if there's room. My pocket change always ends up in the same pocket as my wallet since I'm always too lazy to put it IN the wallet.

Dembadon said:
I have a man-bag, or a purse if you like. It looks like the one on the top-left in the picture below

Are they as "flat" as the one the guy in the picture has? Looks interesting. Before it got ruined, I would carry all my stuff in a "passenger bag", which really looks like the bag you are referring to, but is not flat/has more storage space.

As of now, it's just a backpack. I also keep one or two things in my pocket that will be of immediate use to me. For example, my phone and music player are usually in my front pockets. I usually keep my wallet somewhere in my bag after I've, for example, paid for my bus ticket.