Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Guys: where do you carry your stuff?

1. wallet

87.9%
  2. phone

79.3%
  3. pocket change

31.0%
  4. notepad & pen

17.2%
  5. medication

3.4%
  6. work access card

13.8%
  7. pocket camera

8.6%
  8. jump drive

12.1%
  9. Keys

31.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mar 19, 2012 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is a list of things I carry with me at all times. I don't know how the rest of you guys manage, but I have to wear a pouch (man-purse, murse, second scrotum, fanny pack) or my pockets would be bulging (which I think looks ridiculous) and I would surely forget some things.

But pouches look pretty dorky too, even if they're black leather. How do the rest of you guys manage?

Drat! Forgot keys!
    Done :wink: Ryan_m_b

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2
    Dont really. Have pretty much everything I need in my wallet. Jeans pockets take care of everything else.

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3

turbo

Gold Member

After consulting in some pretty rough areas, I learned to keep my wallet slim as can be, and keep it in a front pocket. Bills/change - front left with keys and a Fisher pen. Wallet, micro-leatherman and tractor key - front right. Only thing in a hip pocket is a comb. I don't care if somebody wants to boost that. If I need paper to jot something down, I can find a piece in my truck or use a bill. Good enough for a quick phone number/address. Cell phone is quite small and go in either front pocket and pocket-camera goes in a shirt pocket, if I've got it with me.

5. Mar 19, 2012 #4
    why are people carrying pocket cameras? I'm guessing it's work related?
    I have a backpack - mainly because I'm a student, but I also found myself taking it with me when I was doing non-student things. They are so useful and are not really an inconvenience.

6. Mar 19, 2012 #5
    I carry a wallet in my right hip pocket but the cash goes in my left front pocket along with my house keys. Right front pocket has work keys, pen and folding knife. Left hip pocket has a small notebook.

7. Mar 19, 2012 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Dump it in your girlfriend/wife's bag? At least I always need to carry my guy's stuff :rolleyes: Including sandwiches, bottles of water and/or orange juice, perfume/deodorant, computer cables, ipad.

8. Mar 19, 2012 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, the title of this thread is "WHERE do you carry your stuff?", and the correct answer is "to the right" and NOT any of the alternatives you presented. :grumpy:

9. Mar 19, 2012 #8

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Pants pockets: almost always my wallet, change-purse, and keys; sometimes a couple of tissues and/or my flash drive.

Shirt pocket: almost always one or two pens, sometimes a folded sheet of paper for notes. Never a notebook or shirt protector. Yes, I've ruined a few shirts because of leaky pens.

10. Mar 19, 2012 #9

Borek

Add keys and a swiss knife. Although my wallet is quite small, just a place for a few credit cards and ID. It all fits pockets in my trousers. The only thing I have a problem with is my cell phone - when I am in a shirt with a pocket I put it there, but when I am in a t-shirt I have no good place. I can put it the left back pocket of trousers, but then it is pinching my *** when I sit in my car.

Or is "pinching" not the right word here?

11. Mar 19, 2012 #10
    I have two backpacks, one light duty, one heavy duty. The heavy duty one has an art and photography studio packed into it. It's the hugest backpack I and any of my friends have ever seen. The light duty one has a sketchpad, box of pencils, a textbook or two, and misc.

12. Mar 19, 2012 #11
    Wallet back pocket, keys front pocket. Anything else is just weighin' me down. I carry a bag for uni for my books, phone and maybe a jacket.

I refuse to carry a phone in my pocket, I hate the things.

13. Mar 19, 2012 #12

Evo

Get one of those phone protectors that clips onto your waist/belt. I remember when I had to carry a pager for work I would clip it on my belt or purse, then when we switched to phones, I started buying purses with an outside phone pocket.

You guys just need to give up and get purses. Too many things to carry nowdays.

14. Mar 19, 2012 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Theng kew. :!!) You've made my day.

15. Mar 19, 2012 #14

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Cell phone in front left jeans pocket
    Wallet + keys in front right jeans pocket
    Change in the little dedicated change pocket that jeans have.

It gets bulky, but for now, I'm living with this system. Can't think of better alternative.

16. Mar 19, 2012 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I'm not carrying a purse. I have seen the blind panic when my wife has misplaced hers. Pockets only.

17. Mar 19, 2012 #16

fluidistic

Gold Member

Only carry keys and money only when I plan on buying something.

18. Mar 19, 2012 #17

Astronuc

What's a jump drive? Is that a USB flash drive? If so, then add that to the list, as well as a secure (token) number generator.

I carry a wallet in my back pocket (or front as necessary), keys in my right front, change (and sometimes banknotes) and electronics in my left front pocket, and pens/pencil/highlighter/various pieces of paper in my shirt pocket. When I carry my passport and other government issued ID, I carry those in my front pocket. In some places, I carry security ID badges on a lanyard.

Then I have lots stuff in the computer carrying bag that holds my two laptops/portables.

19. Mar 19, 2012 #18

S_Happens

Gold Member

Not sure if it counts, but my cell phone is an 8 megapixel camera and with card and all has ~20 GB of storage space.

Always
    Left front: Cell Phone and lip balm
    Right front: My permanent keys, separate keys to whatever vehicle I happen to be driving
    Right rear: Wallet

Sometimes
    Right front: change if I somehow accumulate it, pocket knife
    Left front: Receipts/lists

One thing I always liked about my former job was that it was commonplace to carry tools. I had a belt that always had a leatherman, wire cutters, 8" pipe wrench and radio. In my pockets were another knife, notepad, pen, sharpie, and teflon tape. It was absolutely necessary to have the radio and pipe wrench, but it just felt good carrying the other stuff and being prepared.

20. Mar 19, 2012 #19

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wallet and chapstick in left front pocket, phone and keys in right front pocket.

21. Mar 19, 2012 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sorry, I thought I was clear, this thread was aimed at guys.

:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook