H NMR of unknown sample (organic chem)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
chops369
Messages
56
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Last week in organic chem lab, we were provided with an H NMR spectrum of an unknown compound with the formula C7H5NO3. I'm not terribly good at analyzing these spectra, but I've managed to figure out that I'm looking at 4-nitrobenzaldehyde. The only thing that's bothering me is this tiny signal, which shows up at about 7.2 ppm and is not integrated for any hydrogens. Known chemical shift data gives three possibilities: (1) aromatic proton, (2) conjugated vinylic proton, and (3) phenolic proton. I don't really see how this signal could represent any of those. Would it be possible that the signal is representative of the tiny amount of the enol form of the aldehyde? If not, what do you think it might be?

Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


N/A
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ygggdrasil said:
Chloroform gives an H-NMR signal around 7.2 ppm. Was your sample dissolved in CDCl3?
Yes it was. I would assume that means the signal really has nothing to do with the structure of the sample?