Half-Rxn Method: Answers to My Queries

In summary: This is the balanced half-reaction for the conversion of HNO2 to NO3-. Remember, when using the half-reaction method, it is important to first balance the oxygens, then the hydrogens, and finally the charges. In summary, when balancing the half-reaction using the half-reaction method, first balance the oxygens, then the hydrogens, and finally the charges.
Jules18
I'm just learning the half-rxn method, so I really hope there's somebody else on this forum who's familiar with it. If anyone needs a refresher, go to the link at the bottom of the post.

One of the "half-rxns" I'm doing is this:

HNO2 --> NO3(-1)

So, I'm confused because
1) There's oxygens on both sides, so I'm not sure if I should still add H2O to compensate for them.
2) What do I do about the hydrogen on the left?

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/v...php?tid=12384

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello there,

Although there are oxygens on both sides of the equation, there are two on the left and three on the right. Therefore, you need to add one water molecule on the left for compensation.

HNO2 + H2O -> NO3-

Since you have three hydrogen atoms on the reactants' side, add three to the products' side. For balancing half-reactions using this method (Half-Reaction method), it is customary to equilibrate the oxygens first before the hydrogens.

HNO2 + H2O -> NO3- + 3H+

Since there is an excess charge of -2 on the right side, add 2 electrons to ensure that both sides of the equation have the same amount of charge (that is, 0, in this example).

HNO2 + H2O -> NO3- + 3H+ + 2e-

There you are!

Hello there,

I am familiar with the half-rxn method and I am happy to help you with your queries. Let me address your questions one by one.

1) In this particular half-reaction, there are indeed oxygens on both sides. However, the key to balancing a half-reaction is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides. So, in this case, you would still need to add H2O to compensate for the oxygen atoms. The final balanced half-reaction would be:

HNO2 + H2O --> NO3(-1) + 2H(+)

2) As for the hydrogen on the left, it is important to remember that balancing a half-reaction involves both balancing the atoms and the charges. In this case, the hydrogen atom on the left has a charge of +1, while the hydrogen atom on the right has a charge of 0. To balance the charges, you would need to add 2H(+) on the right side, as shown in the balanced half-reaction above.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Balancing half-reactions can be tricky at first, but with practice, it becomes easier. I would also recommend checking out some online tutorials or examples to further solidify your understanding of the half-rxn method.

Best of luck with your studies!

What is the half-rxn method?

The half-rxn method is a technique used in chemistry to balance chemical equations. It involves breaking down a complex chemical equation into two half-reactions, balancing the atoms and charges in each half-reaction, and then combining them to create a balanced overall equation.

Why is the half-rxn method important?

The half-rxn method is important because it allows chemists to accurately balance chemical equations, which is crucial for understanding and predicting chemical reactions. It also helps to determine the stoichiometry (mole ratios) of reactants and products in a reaction.

How do you use the half-rxn method?

To use the half-rxn method, first write out the unbalanced chemical equation. Then, identify the oxidation and reduction half-reactions. Balance the atoms in each half-reaction by adding coefficients, and then balance the charges by adding electrons. Finally, combine the two half-reactions and cancel out any common terms to create a balanced overall equation.

What are some tips for using the half-rxn method effectively?

Some tips for using the half-rxn method effectively include: 1) making sure to balance atoms and charges in each half-reaction separately before combining them, 2) keeping track of the number of electrons transferred in each half-reaction, and 3) checking your final balanced equation to ensure that all atoms and charges are balanced.

Are there any limitations to the half-rxn method?

Yes, there are a few limitations to the half-rxn method. It may not work for reactions that involve multiple redox processes, or for reactions that involve species other than atoms and ions (such as molecules or complexes). In addition, the half-rxn method may not always provide the most simplified or preferred form of the balanced equation.