Balancing a redox reaction involving only one apparant product

In summary, the conversation discusses balancing a red-ox reaction in acidic solution involving the substances lead (Pb), lead dioxide (PbO2), and sulfuric acid (H2SO4). The steps for balancing the reaction are outlined, including separating into two half reactions, balancing atoms, adding H2O and H+ to balance oxygen and hydrogen, respectively, and equalizing the charge by adding electrons. The post also suggests considering a reasonable mechanism for the reaction.
CarefulAxe

Homework Statement

Balance the following red-ox reaction that occurs in acidic solution.

Homework Equations

Pb(s) + PbO[tex]_{2}[/tex](s) + H[tex]_{2}[/tex]SO[tex]_{4}[/tex](aq) [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] PbSO[tex]_{4}[/tex](s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did not see a change of oxo state from the sulfur, oxygen, or hydrogens. The lead is getting oxidized and the lead dioxide is getting reduced. But there is only one product...I tried leaving in the hydrogen sulfate in one of the half reactions, even though its oxo state does not change, and I ended up with an imbalanced equation. Here are the steps that I follow:

1.Seperate into two half reactions.
2.Balance the atoms that undergo a change in oxidation state.
3.Balance other atoms, except O's or H's
4.Balance oxygens by adding H2O
5.Balance hydrogen by adding H[tex]^{+}[/tex]
6.Balance the charge by adding electrons (e-) to both sides until the charge is the same on both sides, starting with the most positive side.
7.equalize the electrons on both sides
8.add the two half reactions, cancel like terms.

Sorry for the somewhat long post. Oh and I'm a first time poster on PF, so I hope I didn't screw up anything too badly. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can no doubt think of it various ways. I found yours too complicated to follow! :biggrin:
I just mentally redistributed the oxygen between your elemental lead and dioxide and then it is easier.

Balancing equations which is all you ask is one thing, thinking what could be a reasonable mechanism for the steps that actually happen is another you could start thinking about. (How to distinguish experimentally between different reasonable mechanisms is another again.)

Here you've got the things that are present and reacting in a lead battery.

Last edited:

1. How do I identify the redox reaction?

To identify a redox reaction, you need to first determine the oxidation states of each element in the reactants and products. If the oxidation state of an element increases in the products, it has been oxidized. If the oxidation state decreases, it has been reduced. If there is a change in oxidation states, it is a redox reaction.

2. Why is balancing a redox reaction important?

Balancing a redox reaction is important because it ensures that the number of atoms and charge is conserved on both sides of the reaction. This is necessary to accurately represent the chemical reaction and calculate the amount of each substance involved.

3. How do I balance a redox reaction involving only one apparent product?

To balance a redox reaction with only one apparent product, you need to determine the oxidation number of the element that exists in only one product. Then, balance the number of atoms on each side of the equation by adding coefficients. Finally, balance the charges by adding electrons to the appropriate side of the equation.

4. What is the purpose of the half-reaction method in balancing redox reactions?

The half-reaction method is used to balance redox reactions by separating the oxidation and reduction half-reactions. This makes it easier to balance each half separately and then combine them to form a balanced overall equation.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to balancing redox reactions?

There are some shortcuts that can make balancing redox reactions easier. For example, if the reaction occurs in an acidic solution, you can balance the hydrogen atoms by adding H+ ions and then balance the oxygen atoms by adding H2O molecules. Another trick is to balance the elements that appear in only one reactant and one product first, and then balance the remaining elements.