Halliday/Resnick vs. Young/Freedman (Also, Cramster?)

• Thread starter logicalghost
  • Start date
In summary, After researching and discussing, the two recommended textbooks for self-teaching physics are "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker and "University Physics with Modern Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. However, opinions are divided and it is suggested to just choose one and not stress over it. It is also recommended to supplement with the free materials from MIT OpenCourseWare and to purchase older editions of the textbooks for a lower cost.
logicalghost
I posted here a while ago asking for recommendations for a physics textbook in order for my mother and I to teach ourselves physics - thank you so much for all your help! - and after much internet research and discussion, we've narrowed it down basically to either:

Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, Jearl Walker
OR
University Physics with Modern Physics by Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman

For every site/person I've found that recommends one, I find another recommending the other. I'd love to hear pros, cons, likes, and dislikes!

(Re: MIT online thing - I did look into it and it does look promising, but it was eventually vetoed as a main guide due to the fact that here in rural Kentucky the internet and cable can go down for days or weeks at a time.)

ALSO, we were looking at that site Cramster.com as a source of answers if we need more than just the book's own answer key. Has anyone here used it? It is worth signing up for? Is the free account enough, or is it really worth paying for whatever it is paid accounts get?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have 5 different 'standard' intro texts on my shelf- they are all the same. Same topics, same order of presentation, totally interchangeable.

I think the best thing is to just go with one, and stop stressing and losing time over which to choose.

You don't need continuous access for the MIT site -- most of their courses have a link that let's you download everything but the video lectures in one zip package, then you just unzip it on your PC. I would at least get it as a supplement.

As for the texts, why not get both? Then if you don't understand something in one, you may find that the other explains it better. And you may find that a very tough problem in one is a worked example in the other.

Instead of spending $200 on the latest edition of one or the other, go on Ebay or Amazon's used book store and get both for a combined total of 30 bucks or so, for editions ten or so years old. For somebody studying at home, there will be no difference at all between a book ten years old, and next year's edition. I have a copy of Halliday from 1975, and it would work just fine. You will be studying classical physics, which was pretty much set by 1900.

As far as MIT OCW goes, you can also download all of the videos off of iTunes U, so you don't need a constant internet connection at all!

1. What is the difference between Halliday/Resnick and Young/Freedman?

Halliday/Resnick and Young/Freedman are both popular physics textbooks used in high schools and universities. The main difference between the two is their approach to teaching physics. Halliday/Resnick focuses on conceptual understanding and problem-solving techniques, while Young/Freedman places more emphasis on mathematical derivations and applications. Both textbooks cover the same topics and are equally rigorous, so the choice ultimately depends on the student's preferred learning style.

2. Which textbook is better for self-study - Halliday/Resnick or Young/Freedman?

This ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and level of understanding. Halliday/Resnick may be better for self-study as it includes more conceptual explanations and problem-solving strategies, while Young/Freedman may be better for those who prefer a more mathematical approach. However, both textbooks are excellent resources for self-studying physics.

3. What is Cramster and how does it relate to these textbooks?

Cramster is an online study platform that provides solutions and explanations for textbook problems. It is often used in conjunction with Halliday/Resnick and Young/Freedman as a supplement for students who want additional practice and guidance in solving physics problems. Cramster is not affiliated with either textbook, but it is a popular resource among students using these textbooks.

4. Can I use both Halliday/Resnick and Young/Freedman for my studies?

Yes, you can use both textbooks for your studies. Since they cover the same topics, using both can provide a more well-rounded understanding of physics. However, it is not necessary to use both textbooks, and it may be more beneficial to focus on one and use the other as a supplemental resource.

5. Which textbook is more suitable for beginners - Halliday/Resnick or Young/Freedman?

Both textbooks are suitable for beginners, but Halliday/Resnick may be a better choice for those who are new to physics. Its focus on conceptual understanding and problem-solving strategies can help beginners build a strong foundation in the subject. However, both textbooks are equally rigorous and can be used by students at any level of understanding.