Help me find the ideal physics book for self-study

In summary, the speaker had no prior knowledge of physics before taking the Irish Leaving Cert. However, during the course, they became fascinated with the subject and even represented their country in the EU Sci Olympiads. Now, they are in search of a comprehensive physics textbook to study for the IPhO, with minimal calculus and lots of questions. They are considering titles such as The Feynman Lectures on Physics, University Physics with Modern Physics, Fundamentals of Physics, and Physics by Halliday Resnick Krane.
rosemetal17
So here I am:

Before beginning the Irish Leaving Cert last September (equivalent to British A-Levels, etc), I had absolutely no background knowledge in the subject apart from some basic equations and principles from Junior Cert Science (equivalent to British GCSE's, but much less detailed) - which is, really to say, not a lot.

But I naturally chose 3 sciences out of total 6-7 to take in the ILC, including physics, though I had held no special "enthusiasm" for it. But, once the ILC course started, I found myself (rather unexpectedly) becoming mesmerised with every diagrams, equations and even the definitions in the textbook. I ended up covering the whole textbook in 3 weeks by myself. I did this, all out of my love for the subject.

This was nearly a whole year ago. During the year, I had somehow (still a shock to me) managed represent the country in the EU Sci Olympiads.

Now, next year, there is the big IPhO. I had originally planned to study maybe an A Level or an IB book, but my ambition had eventually stretched to cover the whole 1st year undergrad physics in a year...by myself... :blushing:

So, I'm in search of a good, solid, SINGLE reliable textbook, that wouldn't require much help by teachers.

Sorry for the long story but I hoped it'd clarify my requirements!

I have found few titles, by other posts:

The Feynman Lectures on Physics: Definitive and Extended Edition by Richard P. Feynman, Robert B. Leighton, and Matthew Sands

University Physics with Modern Physics (Pie) with mastering physics by Hugh D. Young, Roger A. Freedman, and Lewis Ford

Fundamentals of Physics by David Halliday, Robert Resnick, and Jearl Walker

Due to the price of each of these books :eek: I can only afford to get only one..

I need one with as much detailed explanation as possible, minimal calculus and lots of questions.. One that I can progress through the whole book and say: "Wonderful!".

So the question is: which one?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please consider Physics by Halliday Resnick Krane as well. It's much pithier than the rest, meaning to say, it teaches you much more with lesser text, imo. University Physics is good, but sometimes tends to talk a lot of crap.

1. What are some recommended physics books for self-study?

Some highly recommended physics books for self-study include "Concepts of Modern Physics" by Arthur Beiser, "University Physics" by Hugh Young and Roger Freedman, "Fundamentals of Physics" by David Halliday and Robert Resnick, "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David Griffiths, and "Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals" by Richard Feynman.

2. Can you suggest a physics book for beginners?

For beginners, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman is a great choice. It covers a wide range of topics in an engaging and easy-to-understand manner.

3. Are there any physics books specifically designed for self-study?

Yes, there are several physics books that are designed specifically for self-study. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Randall Knight, "Understanding Physics" by Karen Cummings, and "The Manga Guide to Physics" by Hideo Nitta.

4. What should I look for in a physics book for self-study?

When selecting a physics book for self-study, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, the inclusion of practice problems, and the relevance to your specific interests or goals in physics.

5. Are there any online resources or study guides that can complement a physics book for self-study?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides that can complement a physics book for self-study. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Physics Classroom, and HyperPhysics. It is also helpful to join online forums or study groups to discuss concepts and solve problems with other self-studying individuals.