Halloween Costume Help - Three Questions

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, Khan is trying to find a similar shirt and pants to wear to the costume party, but he doesn't have a budget.
FlexGunship
Gold Member
Hey all, I'm putting together my costume for the year. My friends and I always have a huge costume party and this year features the sequel to last year's Slenderman scavenger hunt in which Slenderman chases party-goers through the night as they hunt for the "Eight Pages". My friend, Phil, wears the costume and he was on the front page of last year's Portsmouth Herald (source) for his part in the parade (image below).

bilde?Site=SO&Date=20121101&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=211010429&Ref=AR&maxH=230&maxW=370&border=0&Q=80.jpg

Anyway, that was just to hint at how seriously we take our once-a-year tradition.

I'm assembling my costume this year, and I want to be Khan from the new Star Trek movie, Into Darkness. The shirt looks like this (image from Anovos):

http://www.anovos.com/assets/images/star-trek-movie/characters/trek-movie-khan-shirt.jpg [Broken]

Unfortunately, they're sold out and are backordered until December. So I've been scouring the internet and had to settle on this alternative (source Kranson uniform):

thumbnail.ashx?src=%2Fcontent%2F202470%2Fuainfmock.jpg

Question 1: How can I add the black, slightly-reflective, insignia? Any thoughts?

Now, using this image as reference (source: timsfilmreviews.com):

star-trek-into-darkness-khan-kirk-spock.jpg

Question 2: where can I get similar pants?

And...

Question 3: where can I get similar boots?

I don't really have a budget (i.e. I don't care how much it costs). I'd buy the replica pants for $150 if I had the official replica shirt. Just looking for ideas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, but no thanks.

In answer to question 1 - Go to the nearest hobby/sewing shop, they should have a square of that kind of material there that you can cut out and glue to the shirt. It might already come with an adhesive backing you can just iron on. They might even carry the emblems ready made.

Likes 1 person
Evo said:
In answer to question 1 - Go to the nearest hobby/sewing shop, they should have a square of that kind of material there that you can cut out and glue to the shirt. It might already come with an adhesive backing you can just iron on. They might even carry the emblems ready made.

Awesome. I don't think I've ever been in a sewing shop. I was thinking of making it out of a roll of wide electrical tape, but your idea is way better. Thanks Evo.

As a scientist, my expertise may not necessarily be in costume design, but I can offer some suggestions based on my knowledge of materials and resources.

For Question 1, adding the black, slightly-reflective insignia could be achieved by using iron-on transfer paper. You can find this at most craft stores or online. Simply print out the insignia onto the transfer paper, cut it out, and iron it onto the shirt. Alternatively, you could use fabric paint or markers to hand-draw the insignia onto the shirt.

For Question 2, you could try looking for similar pants at a military surplus store or online. Military-style cargo pants may have a similar look to the ones in the image. You could also try searching for "Khan cosplay pants" or "Khan costume pants" to see if there are any specific replicas or alternatives available.

For Question 3, you could try looking for similar boots at a costume or cosplay store. You could also try searching for "Khan cosplay boots" or "Khan costume boots" to see if there are any specific replicas or alternatives available. Alternatively, you could try finding a pair of black boots and using leather paint or markers to add the silver details to match the image.

Overall, my advice would be to be creative and resourceful in finding alternatives to the official replica items. Good luck with your costume and have a fun and safe Halloween!

What are the most popular Halloween costumes this year?

The most popular Halloween costumes this year vary depending on current trends and pop culture references. Some popular choices for 2021 include characters from popular TV shows and movies such as Squid Game, WandaVision, and Bridgerton. Classic costumes like witches, vampires, and zombies are also always popular.

How do I find a Halloween costume that fits my budget?

There are many ways to find a Halloween costume that fits your budget. You can search for DIY costume ideas online and make your own costume using materials you already have at home. You can also check out thrift stores or discount stores for affordable costume options. Another option is to repurpose items from your wardrobe to create a unique costume.

What should I consider when choosing a Halloween costume?

When choosing a Halloween costume, you should consider your personal interests and preferences, your budget, the weather, and the occasion you will be wearing the costume for. You should also think about the comfort and practicality of the costume, as well as any cultural or social implications of the costume you choose.

How can I make my Halloween costume stand out?

To make your Halloween costume stand out, you can add unique and creative elements to your costume such as DIY accessories or props. You can also incorporate current trends or pop culture references into your costume. Another way to make your costume stand out is to put your own spin on a traditional costume idea, adding your own personal touch.

What are some tips for finding a Halloween costume for a group or couple?

If you are looking for a Halloween costume for a group or couple, it's important to consider the theme or concept you want to go for. You can coordinate costumes by choosing characters from the same movie or TV show, or by choosing a specific era or theme. You can also use color coordination or complementary costumes to create a cohesive group or couple costume.