1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamilton operator with moments of inertia : time - independence

1. Aug 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Hamilton-operator is given as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] and describes the movement of a free rigid object that has the moments of inertia [tex]I_{i}[/tex]
    Under what circumstances is
    [tex]<\Psi|\hat{L_{1}}|\Psi> [/tex]

time-independent?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \hat{H}=\frac{\hat{L_{1}^{2}}}{2I_{1}}+\frac{\hat{L_{2}^{2}}}{2I_{2}}+\frac{\hat{L_{3}^{2}}}{2I_{3}} [/tex]

[tex][\hat{L_{j}},\hat{L_{k}}]=\iota\hbar\epsilon_{jkm}\hat{L_{m}} [/tex]
    [tex]<\Psi|\hat{L_{1}}|\Psi> [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If it wasn't in the brac-kets, I would just try [tex]\frac{dL_{1}}{dt}=0[/tex] Also, I thought maybe I could use another picture to have the time-indepence in it automatically, but I think Schrödinger must be the right one as there the operators are constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2011 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HINT: Remember that the time dependence of the expectation value of an operator, O, is related to: [itex]<[O,H]>[/itex].

4. Aug 18, 2011 #3
    Thanks! I think a found a solution. What do you think about that?
    I just need to know whether I can change the indices of the Levi-Civita tensor in a way so that I get a minus in front (other order of the indices) also with operators. If yes, this would not answer the question (see below).

If "otherwise": Is this the end result or can you transform that even more?
    [PLAIN]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6031/timeindependencemomento.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Aug 18, 2011 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, you cannot switch the indices on the operators and just change the sign to compensate. That would mean the the angular momentum operators anti-commute, which they don't.

You end result is correct(when you don't switch operator indices), but you missed a sign, I think. Your result should be:

[tex]\frac{[L_2,L_3]_+}{I_2}=\frac{[L_2,L_3]_+}{I_3}[/tex]

([itex][A,B]_+[/itex] means anti-commutator) or when you simplify:

[tex]I_2=I_3[/tex]

Physically, this means you have an "axially symmetric rotator."

You really went about this in the "brute-force" method! There's a much simpler way to get to the same result. You know you are looking for the condition when [itex]L_1[/itex] and [itex]H[/itex] commute. Now, you also know that you can choose any one angular momentum operator to commute with [itex]L^2[/itex]. Thus, if you can write [itex]H[/itex] in terms of only [itex]L^2[/itex] and [itex]L_1[/itex].

You'll see that this is only possible in two cases: When [itex]I_1=I_2=I_3[/itex] and when [itex]I_2=I_3[/itex]

6. Aug 19, 2011 #5
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook