Hamilton operator with moments of inertia : time - independence

In summary, the Hamilton-operator describes the movement of a free rigid object that has the moments of inertia I_{i} and under certain circumstances, the time-independence of the expectation value is also true.
Juqon

Homework Statement

The Hamilton-operator is given as [tex]\hat{H}[/tex] and describes the movement of a free rigid object that has the moments of inertia [tex]I_{i}[/tex]
Under what circumstances is
[tex]<\Psi|\hat{L_{1}}|\Psi> [/tex]

time-independent?

Homework Equations

[tex] \hat{H}=\frac{\hat{L_{1}^{2}}}{2I_{1}}+\frac{\hat{L_{2}^{2}}}{2I_{2}}+\frac{\hat{L_{3}^{2}}}{2I_{3}} [/tex]

[tex][\hat{L_{j}},\hat{L_{k}}]=\iota\hbar\epsilon_{jkm}\hat{L_{m}} [/tex]
[tex]<\Psi|\hat{L_{1}}|\Psi> [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If it wasn't in the brac-kets, I would just try [tex]\frac{dL_{1}}{dt}=0[/tex] Also, I thought maybe I could use another picture to have the time-indepence in it automatically, but I think Schrödinger must be the right one as there the operators are constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Remember that the time dependence of the expectation value of an operator, O, is related to: [itex]<[O,H]>[/itex].

Thanks! I think a found a solution. What do you think about that?
I just need to know whether I can change the indices of the Levi-Civita tensor in a way so that I get a minus in front (other order of the indices) also with operators. If yes, this would not answer the question (see below).

If "otherwise": Is this the end result or can you transform that even more?
[PLAIN]http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6031/timeindependencemomento.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you cannot switch the indices on the operators and just change the sign to compensate. That would mean the the angular momentum operators anti-commute, which they don't.

You end result is correct(when you don't switch operator indices), but you missed a sign, I think. Your result should be:

[tex]\frac{[L_2,L_3]_+}{I_2}=\frac{[L_2,L_3]_+}{I_3}[/tex]

([itex][A,B]_+[/itex] means anti-commutator) or when you simplify:

[tex]I_2=I_3[/tex]

Physically, this means you have an "axially symmetric rotator."You really went about this in the "brute-force" method! There's a much simpler way to get to the same result. You know you are looking for the condition when [itex]L_1[/itex] and [itex]H[/itex] commute. Now, you also know that you can choose anyone angular momentum operator to commute with [itex]L^2[/itex]. Thus, if you can write [itex]H[/itex] in terms of only [itex]L^2[/itex] and [itex]L_1[/itex].

You'll see that this is only possible in two cases: When [itex]I_1=I_2=I_3[/itex] and when [itex]I_2=I_3[/itex]

What is the Hamilton operator with moments of inertia?

The Hamilton operator with moments of inertia is a mathematical operator that describes the energy of a system in terms of its rotational motion. It takes into account the moments of inertia, which are properties of an object that determine how it will rotate about its axis.

How is the Hamilton operator with moments of inertia derived?

The Hamilton operator with moments of inertia is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It is a combination of the kinetic energy and potential energy operators, and is modified to include the moments of inertia terms.

What is the significance of the Hamilton operator with moments of inertia?

The Hamilton operator with moments of inertia is essential in understanding the behavior of rotating atoms and molecules, as well as other systems with rotational motion. It allows us to calculate the energy levels and corresponding wave functions for these systems.

How does time-independence factor into the Hamilton operator with moments of inertia?

The Hamilton operator with moments of inertia is time-independent, meaning that it does not change over time. This is because the moments of inertia are properties of the system that remain constant. This allows us to use the operator to study the long-term behavior of a system.

What are some applications of the Hamilton operator with moments of inertia?

The Hamilton operator with moments of inertia is used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is commonly used in the study of molecular and atomic structures, as well as in the design of rotating machinery and devices. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of celestial bodies such as planets and stars.