Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian and energy momentum tensor

1. Sep 9, 2007 #1
    i know this is sort of an obvious question but what is the difference between the hamiltonian and energy momentum tensor since they are both matrices and energy and momentum are equivalent? are they different in terms of the cicumstances in which they are used.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2007 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In classical field theory one can show that the Hamiltonian, when calculated on the hypersurface of the solutions of the Hamilton's field equations, is equal to the "00" component of the en-mom tensor calculated on the stationary surface of Lagrange's field equations.

As for them being matrices, i guess you mean a quantum theory context in which the hamiltonian is the more important object of the two, since it governs the S-matrix.

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3

thanks for a moment i forgot that the 00 component of the energy tensor was the hamiltonian. thanks for you help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?