Scalar Hamiltonian and electromagnetic transitions

In summary: Really? I've seen both physicists and mathematicians using word 'scalar' in both of this meanings. It just depends on the context.
kelly0303
Hello! This is probably a silly question (I am sure I am missing something basic), but I am not sure I understand how a Hamiltonian can be a scalar and allow transitions between states with different angular momentum at the same time. Electromagnetic induced transitions are usually represented as a perturbation to some free hamiltonian ##H'(t)##, which is a scalar. However when calculating the matrix element between 2 states ##<J_fM_f|H'|J_iM_i>## we can have non zero values even when ##J_f \neq J_i##. How is the fact that the hamiltonian is a scalar, consistent with the angular momentum conservation? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The only thing you need is that ##\hat{H}'## doesn't commute with ##\hat{\vec{J}}##, which indeed implies that it indeed should not be a scalar.

E.g., for atomic transitions you have in the electric-dipole approximation
$$\hat{H}'(t) \propto \vec{E}(t) \cdot \sum_k q_k \hat{\vec{x}}_k,$$
which is not a scalar when considering only the degrees of freedom of the atom. This is intuitively clear, because ##\vec{E}(t)## defines a preferred direction.

vanhees71 said:
The only thing you need is that ##\hat{H}'## doesn't commute with ##\hat{\vec{J}}##, which indeed implies that it indeed should not be a scalar.

E.g., for atomic transitions you have in the electric-dipole approximation
$$\hat{H}'(t) \propto \vec{E}(t) \cdot \sum_k q_k \hat{\vec{x}}_k,$$
which is not a scalar when considering only the degrees of freedom of the atom. This is intuitively clear, because ##\vec{E}(t)## defines a preferred direction.
Thank you for this! I am still a bit confused. I thought that the Hamiltonian must always be a scalar (I've seen this statement in many QM readings). So it is not always a scalar?

kelly0303 said:
Thank you for this! I am still a bit confused. I thought that the Hamiltonian must always be a scalar (I've seen this statement in many QM readings). So it is not always a scalar?
Look here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/lagrangian-vs-hamiltonian-in-qft.658142/

I believe you are confusing between the physicist's meaning of the word "scalar" and the mathematicians' use of this word.

For physicists a scalar is: "Formally, a scalar is unchanged by coordinate system transformations", where in maths a scalar is just an element in the field which the vector space is defined over.

In the example vanhees gave you, I assume the Hamiltonian is a pseudo-scalar, and in after a suitable change of coordinates we get a minus sign there.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I believe you are confusing between the physicist's meaning of the word "scalar" and the mathematicians' use of this word.
Really? I've seen both physicists and mathematicians using word 'scalar' in both of this meanings. It just depends on the context.

kelly0303 said:
Of course, if you transform both ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{x}## it's a scalar, but here you consider ##\vec{E}## as an external (classical) field, and thus you break full rotation symmetry to symmetry under rotations of ##\vec{x}## around ##\vec{E}##.

This is not different from classical mechanics!

1. What is a Scalar Hamiltonian?

A Scalar Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that describes the total energy of a physical system. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the time evolution of a system and can be used to predict the behavior of particles and their interactions.

2. How is a Scalar Hamiltonian used in electromagnetic transitions?

In electromagnetic transitions, the Scalar Hamiltonian is used to describe the energy levels and transitions of particles in an electromagnetic field. It helps to determine the probability of a particle transitioning from one energy level to another by absorbing or emitting a photon.

3. What is the role of the electromagnetic field in these transitions?

The electromagnetic field plays a crucial role in these transitions as it provides the energy needed for particles to change energy levels. The strength and direction of the field can also affect the probability of a transition occurring.

4. How do scalar and vector fields differ in electromagnetic transitions?

Scalar fields have a single value at each point in space, while vector fields have both magnitude and direction. In electromagnetic transitions, scalar fields are used to describe the energy levels and transitions of particles, while vector fields are used to describe the electromagnetic field itself.

5. What are some real-world applications of scalar Hamiltonian and electromagnetic transitions?

Scalar Hamiltonian and electromagnetic transitions have many practical applications, including in the development of new technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and medical imaging devices. They are also used in research fields such as quantum computing, material science, and nuclear physics.