Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian and Lagrange density

1. May 24, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone!
    I'm trying to find the relation between the lagrangian density and the hamiltonian, does anyone know how they are related? I also need a reference where I can find the relation.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2008 #2
    Classical Mechanics by Goldstein covers it in the later chapters, as does the book by Landau. But...
    [tex]\mathcal{H} = \pi \dot{\phi} - \mathcal{L}[/tex],
    where
    [tex]\pi = \frac{\partial\mathcal{L}} { \partial ( \partial_t \phi ) }[/tex]
    The Hamiltonian is then
    [tex]\int\!d^3x\, \mathcal{H}[/tex]

4. May 24, 2008 #3
    Thanks alot! Just one small thing more
    If the Hamiltonian is [tex]\int\!d^3x\, \mathcal{H}[/tex], then what is [tex]\mathcal{H}[/tex]? And is [tex]\mathcal{L}[/tex] the lagranian or the lagranian density?

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  5. May 24, 2008 #4
    A density is something that you integrate over (like mass density to get mass, charge density to get charge). So the scripted values here are the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian densities, although people often just call them the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian. Usually you can figure out from context.

The integral over [tex]\mathcal{H}[/tex] is the Hamiltonian, and the integral over [tex]\mathcal{L}[/tex] is called the Lagrangian.

6. May 24, 2008 #5
    thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?