Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter?

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1

Twigg

Gold Member

Hey all,

I was reading Efficient Linear Optics Quantum Computation by Knill, Laflamme, and Milburn, when I came across their expression for the Hamiltonian for a phase shifter, given as ##\textbf{n}^{(\ell)} = \textbf{a}^{(\ell)\dagger} \textbf{a}^{(\ell)}##, where ##\ell## indicates the mode. (They ignore polarization and work in the formalism of spinless bosons.) How does one get this?
    I was able to get the beam splitter Hamiltonian by looking at the evolution operator (the unitary operator that takes an input photon in the x direction and spits out a superpostion of x and y photons) and subtracting out identity. But this gives a scalar Hamiltonian of ##e^{i\phi} - 1## when I think about following the same procedure for the phase shifter. Am I looking at this the wrong way? I'm completely new to quantum optics. I'm familiar with the quantization of the EM field, but that's about it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted