Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for a phase shifter in the context of Efficient Linear Optics Quantum Computation. The Hamiltonian is given as ##\textbf{n}^{(\ell)} = \textbf{a}^{(\ell)\dagger} \textbf{a}^{(\ell)}##, with ##\ell## indicating the mode. The individual is unsure of how to obtain this expression and asks for clarification. Another individual provides some helpful resources for understanding coherent states and optical phase space.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey all,

I was reading Efficient Linear Optics Quantum Computation by Knill, Laflamme, and Milburn, when I came across their expression for the Hamiltonian for a phase shifter, given as ##\textbf{n}^{(\ell)} = \textbf{a}^{(\ell)\dagger} \textbf{a}^{(\ell)}##, where ##\ell## indicates the mode. (They ignore polarization and work in the formalism of spinless bosons.) How does one get this?
I was able to get the beam splitter Hamiltonian by looking at the evolution operator (the unitary operator that takes an input photon in the x direction and spits out a superpostion of x and y photons) and subtracting out identity. But this gives a scalar Hamiltonian of ##e^{i\phi} - 1## when I think about following the same procedure for the phase shifter. Am I looking at this the wrong way? I'm completely new to quantum optics. I'm familiar with the quantization of the EM field, but that's about it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is a Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter?

A Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter is a mathematical representation of the energy of a system that is undergoing phase shifting in an optical medium. It describes the dynamics of the system and can be used to predict the behavior of the system over time.

2. How is a Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter different from a regular Hamiltonian?

A Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter is specific to optical systems and takes into account the properties of light, such as its polarization and wavelength. It also includes terms related to the phase shifting process, which are not present in a regular Hamiltonian.

3. What are the applications of a Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter?

A Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter is primarily used in the field of optics and photonics, where it is used to study and design devices that manipulate the phase of light. This includes applications in telecommunications, imaging, and quantum optics.

4. How is a Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter derived?

A Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter is derived using the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It involves solving the Schrödinger equation, which relates the Hamiltonian to the energy of the system.

5. Can a Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter be used for all types of phase shifting?

No, a Hamiltonian for an Optical Phase Shifter is specifically designed for phase shifting in optical systems. It cannot be directly applied to other types of phase shifting, such as in electronics or mechanics, as these systems have different properties and dynamics.