Construction of Hamiltonian for interacting optical fields

In summary, the author is going to start his MSc in a couple of months majoring in nonlinear quantum optics and his topic is to investigate quantum properties of a nonlinear optical coupler. He has a good basic in quantum mechanics, but has never looked at quantum optics before and is having trouble with the construction of the Hamiltonian for interacting optical fields. He is looking for help understanding the physical meaning of this Hamiltonian and how to construct such equation to describe the system.
Api
Hi. I am going to start my MSc in a couple of months majoring in nonlinear quantum optics. I have a good basic in quantum mechanics, but have never looked at quantum optics before. My topic will be to investigate quantum properties of nonlinear optical coupler but i have problem with the construction of the Hamiltonian for interacting optical fields. For starting, i start with two mode nonlinear optical coupler

H= hω(a1b1+a2b2)+hωg(a1^2 b1^2+a2^2 b2^2) + hk(a1b2+b1a2)

h=planck constant (h bar)
ω=angular frequency
an= creation operator associated with the optical mode
bn=annihilation operator associated with the optical mode
g=nonlinear susceptibility
k= coupling constant

I will really appreciate it if anyone can explain the physical meaning of this Hamiltonian and how do we construct such equation to describe the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
Api said:
Hi. I am going to start my MSc in a couple of months majoring in nonlinear quantum optics. I have a good basic in quantum mechanics, but have never looked at quantum optics before. My topic will be to investigate quantum properties of nonlinear optical coupler [...]

If you never looked at quantum optics, then definitely get a copy of Mandel & Wolf, "Optical Coherence & Quantum Optics" asap. Some have described it as a "bible" of this subject. (I'm no expert on it, but I can say that it's a surprisingly interesting subject after one gets into it a bit.)

In a 30-sec search, I didn't find the exact Hamiltonian that you wrote, but something similar appears in eq(22.3-1) of M&W which deals with harmonic generation in nonlinear media.
[tex]
H= \sum_{i=1}^2 \hbar \omega(n_i + 1/2)
~+~ \hbar g \left(a^\dagger_2 a_1^2 + {a^\dagger_1}^2 a_2 \right)
[/tex]
The preceding section 22.2 (Energy of the field in a dielectric) gives some of the motivation for the form of this Hamiltonian, but note that this is in ch22 and there's lots of stuff earlier in the book that you'd need to make sure you understand before diving into the above.

ok.thanks for the reply

1. What is a Hamiltonian in the context of interacting optical fields?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. In the context of interacting optical fields, it describes the interactions between different optical modes within a system.

2. How is the Hamiltonian constructed for interacting optical fields?

The Hamiltonian for interacting optical fields is typically constructed by considering the interactions between different optical modes as well as their respective frequencies and amplitudes. This can be represented mathematically using the creation and annihilation operators for each mode.

3. What role does the Hamiltonian play in studying interacting optical fields?

The Hamiltonian is a crucial tool in studying interacting optical fields as it allows us to understand the dynamics and behavior of the system. By solving the equations of motion derived from the Hamiltonian, we can predict how the optical fields will evolve over time.

4. How does the Hamiltonian change when considering different types of interactions between optical fields?

The construction of the Hamiltonian will vary depending on the type of interactions between optical fields. For example, if the fields are interacting through a non-linear medium, the Hamiltonian will include terms that describe the non-linear effects. Alternatively, if the fields are interacting through a polarizing medium, the Hamiltonian will include terms that account for the polarization of the fields.

5. Can the Hamiltonian for interacting optical fields be used to model real-world systems?

Yes, the Hamiltonian for interacting optical fields can be used to model real-world systems, such as optical cavities or waveguides. By accurately constructing the Hamiltonian and solving the equations of motion, we can gain valuable insights into the behavior of these systems and potentially make predictions about their performance.