1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian For The Simple Harmonic Oscillator

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    I am reading an article on the "energy surface" of a Hamiltonian. For a simple harmonic oscillator, I am assuming this "energy surface" has one (1) degree of freedom. For this case, the article states that the "dimensionality of phase space" = 2N = 2 and "dimensionality of the energy surface" = 2N-1 = 1.

Adjusting x gives H = ω (p + x). That's H = ω(p*p + x*x).

When I plot the energy surface for H, I get a 3-dimensional paraboloid plotted against the x-p plane. Or, lines of constant H are 2-dimensional circles in the p-x plane. What energy surface would be 2N-1 = one (1)-dimensional here? Am not trying to quibble about terminology here. Just want to know if I am missing something.

Thanks for reading.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2
    Hi.
    I assume N refers to the number of spatial dimensions, so in the case of a one-dimensional oscillator your phase space is indeed two-dimensional while the energy "surface" is a line (i.e. one-dimensional).
    In general, you understand how phase space volume would be 2N-dimensional; now the harmonic oscillator equation always determines a hypersphere (E = x^2 + y^2 +...), so the dimensionality of the hyper-surface is naturally one dimension less than the volume: 2N–1...

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    I get it now. Thanks so much for your fast reply.
    Ted

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted