1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian, hisenberg's eqn of motion etc

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m and charge q is subject to a uniform electrostatic
    eld ~E
    (a) Write down the Hamiltonian of the particle in this system
    (Hint: consider the potential energy of an electric dipole);
    (b) Find the Heisenberg equation of motion for the expectation value of the position operator ~r, i.e. find the expression for d<r>/dt .
    (c) Find now an expression for d^2<r>/dt^2
    (d) Rearrange the last expression to show that this is Newton's
    second law of motion.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

how to get the potential given the field - once the potential is known the hamiltonian can be solved.

for part b, do we find [r,H] ??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF!

Think about how to write an expression for the force (vector) on the charge. Then think about how to use the force to get the potential energy.

Or, you can follow the hint if you are already familiar with the potential energy of a dipole in an electric field.

4. Apr 17, 2013 #3
    F=qE

how to get the PE from this ??

5. Apr 17, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you remember how you get the potential energy of a spring, ##U = \frac{1}{2}kx^2##, from the force of a spring, ##F=-kx##?

6. Apr 17, 2013 #5
    no i do not.

but for the sum i used

v= q.integration (Edr)

7. Apr 17, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, the negative integral of the force gives the potential energy for a conservative force. Thus, the potential energy at a point ##p## is

##V(p) = -\int_{r.p.}^p q\textbf{E} \cdot \,\mathrm{d}\textbf{s}##

Here, the integral is a line integral along any path connecting the reference point (r.p.) to point ##p##. The reference point is the point where you choose ##V = 0##, say the origin of your coordinate system. The integrand contains the dot product between ##\textbf{E}## and an infinitesimal displacement ##\mathrm{d}\textbf{s}## along the path. Since the field is uniform, you can carry out the integration.

8. Apr 18, 2013 #7
    yes thanks i could do it afterall

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted