Hammer/Nail problem involving torque

• Thread starter adamwhite
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the question asks for the force exerted by the hammer claws on the nail and the force exerted by the surface at the point of contact with the hammer head. Using trigonometry, the force exerted by the prongs on the nail is determined to be 300N. Another approach using moments is also described, resulting in a force of 780N exerted by the nail on the hammer. The conversation also discusses the concept of using a longer handle to make it easier to retrieve the nail.
adamwhite

Homework Statement

Figure P8.58 shows a claw hammer as it is being used to pull a nail out of a horizontal board. If a force of magnitude 150N is exerted horizontally as shown, find a) the force exerted by the hammer claws on the nail and b) the force exerted by the surface at the point of contact with the hammer head. Assume that the force the hammer exerts on the nail is parallel to the nail.

Figure P8.58
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/2198/hammerbp2.png

Homework Equations

T = rFSin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using trig I find that the force the prongs exert on the nail is 300N

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you should check your answer.the torque caused by the horizontal force is 45. This means that the vertical force exerted is 900.

Last edited:
How did you get your answers?

150x0.3/0.05?

Why do you do it that way instead of the way I did it? Can you explain that please?

Well, how did you do it? The vertical force exerted on the nail is 900N. The nail needs to exert a component that would equal 900N. The toher component turns up as the contact force 9well part of, not forgeting the weight of the hammer).

Last edited:
This is how I did it:

My diagram looks like this
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/7730/nailod0.png

Since the 150N is the horizontal component of the force exerted on the nail I used trig to find the force.

sin30 = 150/F
F = 150/sin30 = 300

Last edited by a moderator:
you should do the question via moments.

Imagine you had a longer handle, wouldn' it be easier to retrieve the nail?

Yeah, you're right it would. But I still don't see how you got your numbers :(

the torque caused by the hammer is 150 x 0.3.

if the nail is not moving, then it is countering this torque with its own. So to counter this, it would need to exert a force which has a component that would counter this torque.

EDIT: i edited my last few posts for clarity

Last edited:
by the way my previous number of 788 was wrong it should be higher than 900

I tried it by moments as oerg suggested:

Taking moments about the point of contact of the hammer and the floor (this eliminates the reaction of the floor).
In equilibrium:

moment of effort on hammer =150*0.3 = moment of hammer on nail force= F*(0.05/cos(30 deg))

solving for F gives 780 N.

1. What is torque and how does it relate to the hammer/nail problem?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. In the hammer/nail problem, torque is important because it determines how effectively the force of the hammer is applied to the nail, and therefore how likely the nail is to be driven into the surface.

2. How does the length of the hammer handle affect the torque in the hammer/nail problem?

The longer the handle of the hammer, the greater the torque that can be applied to the nail. This is because a longer handle allows for a greater distance between the point where the force is applied (the end of the handle) and the axis of rotation (the hand holding the hammer). This results in a greater torque and therefore a more effective force on the nail.

3. Can the angle at which the hammer strikes the nail affect the torque in the hammer/nail problem?

Yes, the angle at which the hammer strikes the nail can greatly affect the torque. When the hammer strikes the nail at a 90 degree angle, the torque is maximized and the force is applied directly to the nail. However, if the hammer strikes the nail at an angle, some of the force will be directed away from the nail, resulting in a decreased torque and less effective force on the nail.

4. How does the weight of the hammer play a role in the hammer/nail problem?

The weight of the hammer is directly related to the force that can be applied to the nail. A heavier hammer will have more force behind it and therefore a greater torque. This means that a heavier hammer can more easily drive a nail into a surface compared to a lighter hammer.

5. Is there a way to increase the torque in the hammer/nail problem without changing the length or weight of the hammer?

Yes, the use of a nail set or punch can increase the torque in the hammer/nail problem. By placing the nail set on top of the nail and striking it with the hammer, the force is concentrated on a smaller area, resulting in a greater torque and more effective force on the nail.