Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hand-on semiconductor demonstration

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    I am a graduate student working in semiconductor physics. I have been asked to give a presentation to high school girls about my field. The problem I am running into is that the organizers would like me to provide something hands-on that the girls can do relating to semiconductors. I have not been able to think of anything or really find anything on the web. I wouldn't mind doing the hall effect experiment (since that is strongly related to my experiments), but I don't really have access to a magnet I can transport (the one in my lab is quite heavy and unwieldy). Do you have any suggestions as to hands-on experiments I could do or where on the web I could find some? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2
    hi

why not show some solar cells ? it is a impressive demonstration of semiconductor "at work".. well, at least, you could align your explanations ;-) just forget the organic stuff ...

good luck

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Pass around a wafer? Kids like shiny things, right?

If you want to talk about fabrication and depending what kinds of masks you have access to, you could do a simple diffraction demonstration with a laser pointer on the wall. Then use a microscope objective to form the image.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook