1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hand-on semiconductor demonstration

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    I am a graduate student working in semiconductor physics. I have been asked to give a presentation to high school girls about my field. The problem I am running into is that the organizers would like me to provide something hands-on that the girls can do relating to semiconductors. I have not been able to think of anything or really find anything on the web. I wouldn't mind doing the hall effect experiment (since that is strongly related to my experiments), but I don't really have access to a magnet I can transport (the one in my lab is quite heavy and unwieldy). Do you have any suggestions as to hands-on experiments I could do or where on the web I could find some? Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2009 #2

why not show some solar cells ? it is a impressive demonstration of semiconductor "at work".. well, at least, you could align your explanations ;-) just forget the organic stuff ...

good luck
  4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Pass around a wafer? Kids like shiny things, right?

If you want to talk about fabrication and depending what kinds of masks you have access to, you could do a simple diffraction demonstration with a laser pointer on the wall. Then use a microscope objective to form the image.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?