1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hanging block Tension problem finding components/angle

1. Nov 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So there's a block hanging from the wall and two strings are sustaining it, but they're at different angles.

foi3gi.png

2. Relevant equations
    FAy= FACos(angle)
    Fnet=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Er, well, I can do this problem when the two strings are at the same angle (so they have the same tension), I just find the FAy using trig... but I don't know how to do it when the angles are different. Can anyone point me to some problems online or help? my textbook doesn't have anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2009 #2

hage567

Homework Helper

You do it the same way, you just have two different tension variables, say T1 for string 1, and T2 for string 2.

4. Nov 16, 2009 #3
    Oh sorry, I forgot to write that one of the T is 12N and you have to solve for the unknown T.

5. Nov 16, 2009 #4

hage567

Homework Helper

Doesn't change anything. So now T1 = 12 N. You still solve it the same way. Resolve your forces into their components using trig, and sum them up in each direction. Use the equations you get to solve for what you are asked to find. Give it a try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook