Equilibrium Tension Along a Curved String

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the tension in a string attached to two pegs on parallel walls, with a pulley and block system attached. The tension force makes equal angles with the pulley at the point of contact and the vertical component can be equated to mg to find an expression for T in terms of an unknown variable h. The length between the walls can be found using geometry and the angle can be expressed in terms of l and x.
Raghav anand
IMG_0894.JPG

Homework Statement

A light inextensible string of length l hangs on two pegs attached to parallel walls separated by a height. A small frictionless pulley of weight Wp is attached to a block of weight Wb. When it is placed on the string, the string becomes taut and pulley runs on the string till equilibrium is established. What is the tension in the string?

Homework Equations

F=ma; vertically and horizontally
x, l, Wp, Wb are the given variables

The Attempt at a Solution

The angles the tension force makes with the pulley at the point of contact are equal as the horizontal components of tension are equal. When equating the vertical component to mg, I only get an expression for T in terms of an unknown variable h. I eliminated y by using the two triangles marked in the diagram. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the length between two walls?

Raghav anand said:
[
The angles the tension force makes with the pulley at the point of contact are equal as the horizontal components of tension are equal. When equating the vertical component to mg, I only get an expression for T in terms of an unknown variable h. I eliminated y by using the two triangles marked in the diagram. Any thoughts?
I gather the distance between the walls is x.
You should post more of your working, preferably typed, not as an image.
You should be able to find the angle in terms of l and x only - it's just geometry. Hint: project the line of one side of the string down until it reaches the opposite wall. After that it is straightforward.

I will make sure to write more from next time. Got the answer, thanks!

1. What is equilibrium tension along a curved string?

Equilibrium tension along a curved string refers to the balanced force acting on a string that is curved in shape. This tension is responsible for maintaining the stability and shape of the string.

2. How is equilibrium tension along a curved string calculated?

The equilibrium tension along a curved string can be calculated using the formula T = μv²/R, where T is the tension, μ is the mass per unit length of the string, v is the speed of the string, and R is the radius of curvature.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium tension along a curved string?

The equilibrium tension along a curved string is affected by the mass per unit length of the string, the speed of the string, and the radius of curvature. It is also influenced by external forces such as gravity and friction.

4. How does changing the speed of the string affect the equilibrium tension?

Changing the speed of the string will directly impact the equilibrium tension along the curved string. An increase in speed will result in a higher tension, while a decrease in speed will result in a lower tension.

5. Can equilibrium tension along a curved string be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, equilibrium tension along a curved string is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied to real-life situations such as the tension in a guitar string or the stability of a suspension bridge.