Happy Most Depressing Day of the Year

1. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,828
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

2. jcsd
  3. All this silliness should make you laugh.

4. CompuChip

CompuChip 4,299
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually the article got me laughing... so it can't be that bad :biggrin:

5. lisab

Staff: Mentor

The article states that the peak for "depression" Google searches is November. This agrees with something I learned when I lived in Alaska. Most people have heard of "cabin fever," a temporary affliction that long-timers up there sometimes get.

The interesting thing is it peaks not in the winter but in October-November. It's the anticipation of the long winter that sets people off, not the reality of it.

6. Do you exchange presents or just send cards? I haven't celebrated the Most depressing day of the year before. Maybe I'll just go out for dinner, I don't like Italian food so that's probably what I should get.

7. ZapperZ

ZapperZ 29,828
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I thought one celebrates the most depressing day by having a friend tells you all your shortcoming and failures in life? This is done, of course, over a very good bottle of champaign.

:)

8. CompuChip

CompuChip 4,299
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It should be a very good bottle, otherwise you'd wake up with a hangover tomorrow. Which will make you late for work, get you fired / fail your exam, and give you an even more depressing day.

9. Which contradicts the statement that the previous day was the most depressing during the year. Therefore, our assumption was wrong. Of course, there's the case where this could happen on Dec 31 - Jan 1, but during those days most of the world is really crazy to be depressed.

10. Moonbear

Moonbear 12,266
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting. Though that's also when the weather (at least around here) starts to change from warm and sunny to chilly and cloudy, so maybe it's the need to adjust to the change in weather not so much the duration of exposure to it (besides, by the mid-winter holidays, you can get on a plane and go someplace warm and sunny). :biggrin:

Today doesn't feel very depressing to me at all. It's the first day in about 3 weeks I've gotten to really sleep in. I have to make one short trip out to do a bit of work, but since it's a university holiday, I get the rest of the day off. It's bright and sunny (though bitter cold, but that doesn't matter when I can just enjoy basking in the sunlight streaming through a window), and my houseguest for two weeks left over the weekend, so I finally have my house back to myself. I thought today was a pretty great day. It would be wonderful if this is the most depressing a day ever got this year. :biggrin:

11. lisab

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like one of those rare, perfect days, when time seems to just laze along...nice!

12. brewnog

brewnog 2,793
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And I thought it was just because (for many) it's the last day after Christmas before payday.

Oh, and that you lose a shedload of cash with the onset of American recession...

13. OmCheeto

OmCheeto 2,006
    Gold Member
    2014 Award

And just in case there's someone not celebrating in true spirit, here's something to cheer down those invested in the market:

Someone check the paper tomorrow and see how many brokers jumped out of windows today.

Now where's my whiskey bottle?

14. Ivan Seeking

Ivan Seeking 12,521
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a very happy day because we only have 364 days of Bush left!!!

15. Someone check out the suicide rates tomorrow, for the 21st.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?