Hardware recommendation to control LEDs individually

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
fluidistic
Gold Member
My two years old son loves lights and computers. I was thinking to buy an Arduino or a Raspberry pi like single board to control a LED matrix panel.

What I want is to be able to control individual LEDs by pressing on keys on a keyboard. Example: by pressing "a", a LED lights up, "b" another LED lights up, "a" + "b" both LEDs light up, etc. A sort of LED piano.

Which hardware would you recommend for that purpose? Is a matrix panel even a good option? Maybe something much simpler would do it...
Do I even need an Arduino board (for the pins I guess?). I have a laptop with USB connections.

I only know some Python, not C or C++. I do not have a lot of time to spend on learning new stuff, so the simpler option the better. I do not want to be involved in a time consuming project.

Answers and Replies

Dr Transport
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I think the raspberry pi has a complete kit that will help you do that along with all the guidance you need to get down the road.

FactChecker
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Raspberry pi can be obtained with an excellent introductory book that goes from the system installation to simple Python programming. It is great for the beginner. When it comes to controlling a lot of external devices, the Arduino has the advantage because it has more analog and descrete outputs. Both of them have a large user community and it is easy to get help and advice.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
There are project books and magazines for the Pi. I would have a look at doing one of those first.

Perhaps Google Raspberry Pi traffic light?

Suggested for: Hardware recommendation to control LEDs individually

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies