Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic damper on break barrel air rifle?

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    basically, im trying to reduce vibrations from my break barrel air rifle which has dual recoils in either direction. they happen almost simultaneously, but it still throws off my accuracy as one occurs just before the pellet leaves the barrel. the kick isnt strong but rather sharp. heres a pic so you may get a better idea:
    http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Crosman/Nitro/NitroVsSpring.jpg [Broken]

and then i came across this:
    CIMG2169.jpg

what if i were to mount these onto the stock of my rifle? the gun is about twice as heavy as a bow, but it should still make a difference, right? what concerns me is that the bow is uniformly made of aluminum alloy, whereas for the gun, the initial vibrating part is the metal internals, which are held tightly to the wooden stock by screws. would i gain noticeable benfits from this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2011 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Have you tried benching your air rifle? You should be able to spot accuracy problems that way. You need to be able to divorce any early experience with .22 target programs, because those rimfire rifles have negligible forward recoil {very light firing pins}) and a small but not insignificant rear recoil. Even differences between .22 target loads have to be adjusted for, if you switch, brands, bullet weights, etc.

I was a top cross-country skier in my HS in the '60s and would have loved to have had a biathalon program here.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. Nov 30, 2011 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I looked at the Mathews website but it doesn't seem to have much real description of how these dampers work. But assuming they do work for bows, the design will probably be accurately "tuned" to match the dynamics of the bow. Whether that was done by a lot of trial and error, computer modelling of the dynamics, or they just got lucky, doesn't really matter.

If you put the same damper on a something with different mass and stiffness, and a different pattens of load against time causing the recoil, most likely it won't do anything useful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook