1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic motion of the dipole?

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    the conservation of energy formula for a dipole
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]K=-[tex]\Delta[/tex]U
    (1/2)Iw^2=-(-qEDcos(theta))
    (1/2)Iw^2=qEDcos(theta)

E-field going parallel to the y-axis. if the positive end of the dipole was in the first quad with angle theta from the y axis and the negative end of the dipole was in the third quad, what would be the angular velocity of the dipole at the y-axis? using theta0= theta or the angle the dipole is released.U(pi/2)=0. And what is the period of the harmonic motion of the dipole?

The answer is w=[tex]\sqrt{(2qED/I) * (1-cos(theta0)}[/tex]
    1/2Iw^=qEDcos(theta). then to find the answer the change in potential energy has to go to theta0 to pi/2?? Do this work?? How do you prove the U(pi/2)=0 since at pi/2 the potential energy from theta0 has turned to kinetic energy? qED(cos(pi/2)-cos(theta0))= 0???

For the period, The harmonic formula d^2x/dt^2=-w^2x replacing x with theta d^2theta/dt^2 = w*theta
    and since I*angular acceleration= torque and torque=qEdsin(theta) but my teacher changed torque to qED*theta. Why??
    Then I just used I*d^2theta/dt^2 = torque or I*-w^2*theta=torque to find w. And w=2pi/T to find T.

Why was the torque changed from qEdsin(theta) to qEd*theta????? And is the harmonic formula d^2x/dt^2=-w^2x the same no matter what?????

Thanks for the help.
    Stephen

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2
    Re: Dipoles

I have a test on this tomorrow, so could someone please look at the equations and the questions about how to prove U(pi/2)= 0 and why qEDsin(theta) turned into qED*theta and if the second derivative is always equal to -w^2*x for harmonic motion?

Thank you.
    Stephen

4. Sep 10, 2008 #3

bump.. Can anyone answer my questions?

Please! I do not understand why qEDsin(theta) turned into qED*theta

5. Sep 11, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi StephenDoty,

The approximation [tex]\sin\theta\to \theta[/tex] is used when the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is assumed to be small.

I don't understand what you are asking about [itex]U(\pi/2)[/itex]. The formula for [itex]U[/itex] shows that it is zero at the angle [itex]\pi/2[/itex]. However, the dipole never gets to that angle, so I'm not sure what you are asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?