Harmonic number and natural logarithm.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the nth harmonic number is equivalent to the natural logarithm of n. The person seeking help mentions using the integral of 1/x between 1 and n to show this, but is unsure of how to find the constants c1 and c2 to prove the bounds. The other person suggests thinking of the sum as a Riemann sum and putting bounds on the difference between 1/x and 1/n in each interval, ultimately leading to an upper bound for the integral of 1/x from 1 to n.
Demonoid

Homework Statement

Ok, basically I need to show that Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) (which is harmonic number) is θ (big theta) of ln(n), which means that is it bounded below and above by this function(upper and lower bound). But I don't quite understand how to prove it.

Homework Equations

I know that integral of 1/x between 1 and n is ln(n).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think that saying that the integral of 1/x between 1 and n is equal to ln(n) which is approximately equal to Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) is enough. But I don't know where to go from here.
need to show:
c1 f(n) <= Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) <= c1 f(n)

where f(n) is the ln(n) and c1 and c2 are some constants. What I don't understand is how to find these constants.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think of [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex] as a Riemann sum, composed of rectangles of width=1 and height=1/n. How does this compare with the integral of 1/x? Greater than? Less than? Equal?

Demonoid said:

Homework Statement

Ok, basically I need to show that Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) (which is harmonic number) is θ (big theta) of ln(n), which means that is it bounded below and above by this function(upper and lower bound). But I don't quite understand how to prove it.

Homework Equations

I know that integral of 1/x between 1 and n is ln(n).

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think that saying that the integral of 1/x between 1 and n is equal to ln(n) which is approximately equal to Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) is enough. But I don't know where to go from here.
need to show:
c1 f(n) <= Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) <= c1 f(n)

where f(n) is the ln(n) and c1 and c2 are some constants. What I don't understand is how to find these constants.

Thanks.

Use ## 1 \geq 1/x, \:x \in (1,2)##, ##1/2 \geq 1/x, \: x \in(2,3)##, etc and ##1/2 \leq 1/x, \: x \in(1,2)##, ##1/3 \leq 1/x, \: x \in (2,3)##, etc.

jbunniii said:
Think of [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex] as a Riemann sum, composed of rectangles of width=1 and height=1/n. How does this compare with the integral of 1/x? Greater than? Less than? Equal?

I understand that the nth harmonic number grows about as fast as the natural logarithm of n, because the sum of ln(n) is integral of 1/x between 1 and n.

What I don't understand is what makes ln(n) become the upper/lower bound of the nth harmonic number ? What makes it bigger or smaller, so it becomes a tight fit ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
In each of the intervals (n-1, n), put a bound on the difference between 1/x and 1/n.

Demonoid said:
haruspex said:
In each of the intervals (n-1, n), put a bound on the difference between 1/x and 1/n.

I don't quite understand what you mean by that.

What I was thinking is something like this:

1/2ln(x) <=Ʃ1/n (between 1 and n) <= 5ln(x)

c is 1/2 lower bound
c is 5 upper bound

in this case Ʃ1/n (between 1 and n) is bounded by ln(x) from above and below starting from n >2.
What is max wrt x of {1/x-1/n: n-1 < x < n}? What upper bound does that give you for ∫dx/x over that range? Summing over n, what upper bound for the integral of 1/x from 1 to n?

Demonoid said:
I understand that the nth harmonic number grows about as fast as the natural logarithm of n, because the sum of ln(n) is integral of 1/x between 1 and n.

What I don't understand is what makes ln(n) become the upper/lower bound of the nth harmonic number ? What makes it bigger or smaller, so it becomes a tight fit ?

Thanks.

Did you read my first reply? On ##x \in (1,2)## we have ## 1 \geq 1/x \geq 1/2##, and similarly for other intervals ##(k,k+1),##etc. What do you get if you integrate over x from x = 1 to x = 2 (or x = k to x = k+1)?

1. What is a harmonic number?

A harmonic number is a type of mathematical sequence in which the terms are the reciprocals of the positive integers. For example, the first harmonic number is 1, the second is 1/2, the third is 1/3, and so on.

2. What is the significance of harmonic numbers?

Harmonic numbers are important in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, combinatorics, and analysis. They also have applications in other fields, such as physics and computer science.

3. What is the relationship between harmonic numbers and natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm of a number is the power to which the base number, e, must be raised to equal that number. The natural logarithm of a harmonic number is closely related to the Euler-Mascheroni constant, which is approximately equal to 0.5772. This constant is used to approximate the difference between the harmonic number and the natural logarithm of that number.

4. How are harmonic numbers and natural logarithm used in real-world applications?

Harmonic numbers and natural logarithm have various applications in the real world, such as in the calculation of electrical circuits, the analysis of series and sequences, and the estimation of probabilities in statistics and finance.

5. Are there any interesting properties of harmonic numbers and natural logarithm?

Yes, there are many interesting properties of harmonic numbers and natural logarithm that have been discovered and studied by mathematicians. For example, the growth rate of harmonic numbers is slower than that of the natural logarithm, and the sum of the reciprocals of the prime numbers is equal to the natural logarithm of the natural logarithm of the prime numbers.