1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic number and natural logarithm.

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, basically I need to show that Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) (which is harmonic number) is θ (big theta) of ln(n), which means that is it bounded below and above by this function(upper and lower bound). But I don't quite understand how to prove it.

2. Relevant equations

I know that integral of 1/x between 1 and n is ln(n).

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't think that saying that the integral of 1/x between 1 and n is equal to ln(n) which is approximately equal to Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) is enough. But I don't know where to go from here.
    need to show:
    c1 f(n) <= Ʃ 1/n (between 1 and n) <= c1 f(n)

where f(n) is the ln(n) and c1 and c2 are some constants. What I don't understand is how to find these constants.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think of [itex]\sum 1/n[/itex] as a Riemann sum, composed of rectangles of width=1 and height=1/n. How does this compare with the integral of 1/x? Greater than? Less than? Equal?

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use ## 1 \geq 1/x, \:x \in (1,2)##, ##1/2 \geq 1/x, \: x \in(2,3)##, etc and ##1/2 \leq 1/x, \: x \in(1,2)##, ##1/3 \leq 1/x, \: x \in (2,3)##, etc.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4
    I understand that the nth harmonic number grows about as fast as the natural logarithm of n, because the sum of ln(n) is integral of 1/x between 1 and n.

What I don't understand is what makes ln(n) become the upper/lower bound of the nth harmonic number ? What makes it bigger or smaller, so it becomes a tight fit ?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  6. Jan 22, 2013 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In each of the intervals (n-1, n), put a bound on the difference between 1/x and 1/n.

7. Jan 22, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is max wrt x of {1/x-1/n: n-1 < x < n}? What upper bound does that give you for ∫dx/x over that range? Summing over n, what upper bound for the integral of 1/x from 1 to n?

8. Jan 22, 2013 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you read my first reply? On ##x \in (1,2)## we have ## 1 \geq 1/x \geq 1/2##, and similarly for other intervals ##(k,k+1),##etc. What do you get if you integrate over x from x = 1 to x = 2 (or x = k to x = k+1)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook