Has anyone changed their name? I want something more unique

• Thread starter pa5tabear
  • Start date
In summary: Name?")People judge others on their name. It shouldn't be that way, but it is. And even beyond judgement, there's the "memorable" factor. An artist can put out great work, but if their name is generic, they won't be remembered or noticed as much. It's definitely a weird thing to do, and most people I know would probably view it negatively, but what do you all think? Anyone have experience?I assume you're talking about your real name? I have a friend who changed her name (because of a family situation), she had to get permission from the Queen to do so. A criterium was that the family name was not allowed to exist
pa5tabear
People judge others on their name. It shouldn't be that way, but it is.

And even beyond judgement, there's the "memorable" factor. An artist can put out great work, but if their name is generic, they won't be remembered or noticed as much.

It's definitely a weird thing to do, and most people I know would probably view it negatively, but what do you all think?

Anyone have experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you're talking about your real name? I have a friend who changed her name (because of a family situation), she had to get permission from the Queen to do so. A criterium was that the family name was not allowed to exist.

Another friend changed her first name and also wanted to change her last name (to avoid discrimination), but instead of getting permission from the Queen she married and adopted her husband's name :smile:

I also know someone who went through a gender-reassignment and changed his name.

There are numerous people who use a 'nickname', for instance the people who's name is Johnathan likely go through life as John or Nathan.

It depends on what you want your unique name to be and how different it is from your current name.

Haha this reminds me of a funny story:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-King-of-Norway-Denies-Sonic-Name-Change-110250.shtml

she had to get permission from the Queen to do so.
It sounds silly that in the year 2012 people have to get permission from a monarch to do something.
Is it some kind of arbitrary screening process, just so people don't get outrageous names?

Jimmy is a nice name.

leroyjenkens said:
It sounds silly that in the year 2012 people have to get permission from a monarch to do something.
Is it some kind of arbitrary screening process, just so people don't get outrageous names?
Not arbitrary at all, there is a list of rules that have to be met.

To change the first name a person has to go to court with the help of a lawyer.

To change a last name the ministry of Security and Justice judges whether the request for name change is eligible for treatment. Name changes happen by Royal Decree, which means that the Queen then signs the decision. The signature of the Queen is more of symbolic meaning. To change a last name because of psychological reasons, a psychiatric report is required. One can also change a name when it sounds foreign or because it is too common.

Monique said:
Not arbitrary at all, there is a list of rules that have to be met.

To change the first name a person has to go to court with the help of a lawyer.

To change a last name the ministry of Security and Justice judges whether the request for name change is eligible for treatment. Name changes happen by Royal Decree, which means that the Queen then signs the decision. The signature of the Queen is more of symbolic meaning. To change a last name because of psychological reasons, a psychiatric report is required. One can also change a name when it sounds foreign or because it is too common.

Oh, so "permission from the queen" is just a way of signifying that entire process?
That makes sense. I thought you meant you have to send a letter to the queen, and depending on whether she finds the name befitting a peasant in her kingdom, she will deign to grant the wish.

leroyjenkens said:
Oh, so "permission from the queen" is just a way of signifying that entire process?
That makes sense. I thought you meant you have to send a letter to the queen, and depending on whether she finds the name befitting a peasant in her kingdom, she will deign to grant the wish.
Exactly, it still is quite special: it's not every day that you can have a document signed by the Queen.

About the befitting of a name, here is a list of forbidden first names in the Netherlands (most are from before 1970): http://www.vernoeming.nl/geweigerde-voornamen

Many are last names that were not allowed to be first names, some were forbidden for other reasons (some would be accepted today): Anarchistine, Ego, Glenn, Joey, Cinderella, Dionne, Savanna, Geisha, F, Jeanne d’Arc, Tom Tom. Funny to see that these days the names would not stand out that much.

I know someone who's first name is Human :biggrin:

Does the USA have regulations for name assignment? With the names I've heard come by I would assume not.

Last edited:
Monique said:
Does the USA have regulations for name assignment?

That would be un-American! :uhh:

African-Americans in particular give their children distinctive names. At first I thought these were from collections of names in African languages, but it seems most of them are invented.

http://www.salon.com/2008/08/25/creative_black_names/

Another group that dotes on distintive names is Utah Mormons:

http://wesclark.com/ubn/ (note particularly the essay "What's in a (Utah) Name?")

Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

Nah, too generic.

Also, sounds like a safe-cracker.

:rofl:

Jimmy is a perfectly fine name. :tongue:

Feynman was a good safe-cracker but he didn't use a jimmy. Maybe we can use his name for that.

My mother had intended to name me Peter, but when the hospital staff showed up with the forms, she opted to name me after my father. Believe me, Harley was not a good name to be saddled with in the 50s. I don't know what came over her.

I've slightly changed my name from Van de Carr to VandeCarr so as not to confuse computers. I'm a US citizen so I didn't have to ask the Queen. I have a Dutch ancestor who settled in present day Ulster County, New York in 1635. He spelled his name van der Karr.

I found it very impolite and inconvenient for people in the US to butcher my name while I was living there. There appears to be a rule that a last name should and may only be composed of a single word.

Even my first name people manage to misspell to Moniek, while only less than 2% of the Dutch Monique's spell the name that way.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if your ancestor's real last name would've been "van de Kar", meaning "of/with the cart", indicating that the original name giver probably owned a cart :wink:

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Jimmy is a nice name.

You know, the more often you say that the less true it becomes. :tongue:

turbo said:
My mother had intended to name me Peter, but when the hospital staff showed up with the forms, she opted to name me after my father.
At least she named you after your father, not because his name was David...

turbo said:
...Harley ...saddled
Good one.

Monique said:
I wouldn't be surprised if your ancestor's real last name would've been "van de Kar", meaning "of/with the cart", indicating that the original name giver probably owned a cart :wink:
I shudder to think what he would have been named if he'd owned a moped.
That's a mighty peculiar list you have there. Some of those things can't possibly be actual words in any language.

Anyhow, all of the good alternative names have been taken—Zaphod Beeblebrox, Cranston Snord, Abercrombie Zirk, Julian Stumpwort... (those last two are pen names that I use when writing fiction)...

One thing that people don't seem to realize is that no matter how a name is spelled, you can legally pronounce it any way that you choose to. For instance, although my first name is spelled "Daniel", it is properly pronounced "Supreme Master of Everything in the Known or Foreseeable Universe".

I remember the story of a guy named RB Jones.

Could not get a credit card to save his life. The application kept being rejected with a request for full name spelled out - no initials. Finally, in frustration, he sent in the form as R (only) B (only) Jones.

Finally he got approved for a credit card - under the name Ronly Bonly Jones...

Danger said:
I shudder to think what he would have been named if he'd owned a moped.
In American it would be Vandebromfiets :tongue: the name is still free, since no mopeds existed at the time. You can be the first!

One thing that people don't seem to realize is that no matter how a name is spelled, you can legally pronounce it any way that you choose to. For instance, although my first name is spelled "Daniel", it is properly pronounced "Supreme Master of Everything in the Known or Foreseeable Universe".

ha ha, I agree! I know people who insist on pronouncing their name with a foreign accent. You should pronounce mine with a distinguished French flare :biggrin:

Last edited:
Monique said:
I found it very impolite and inconvenient for people in the US to butcher my name while I was living there. There appears to be a rule that a last name should and may only be composed of a single word.

I agree. I've gotten mail for Carr, deCarr, Decarr, Decar, Van, Vande, Van de Cart, and other permutations and combinations. That's why I combined it into one word. I have to say it worked. We Dutch people are practical if a bit stubborn and proud.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if your ancestor's real last name would've been "van de Kar", meaning "of/with the cart", indicating that the original name giver probably owned a cart :wink:

You may be correct. We can document our American ancestors to about 1680 (after the English took over). We found Dirk van der Kar (or Karr) through Ancestors.com. I remember it was "der" instead of "de", but there may have been just one "r". There was no documentation. The later ancestors used "de."

EDIT: I just saw this: Vandebromfiets. I like it. I'll have to contact your Queen. That could be my name when I visit The Netherlands..

Last edited:
Monique said:
In American it would be Vandebromfiets :tongue: the name is still free, since no mopeds existed at the time. You can be the first!

ha ha, I agree! I know people who insist on pronouncing their name with a foreign accent. You should pronounce mine with a distinguished French flare :biggrin:

For extra flare, throw in an "r" and roll it :tongue2:!

My first name is Preston, which doesn't really get any whiter than that, but it's distinct, and not really that weird, so I'm alright with it.

Monique said:
You should pronounce mine with a distinguished French flare :biggrin:
Considering how you reacted to my attempt at a Dutch accent, I'd best stay right the hell away from French altogether.

(By the bye, I'll stop referring to you as my personal language guru if you you persist in using "flare" instead of "flair".) :tongue:

Oops! Sorry, wrong tongue. I meant :tongue2:. My hormones supersede my love of the written word.
AnTiFreeze3 said:
My first name is Preston, which doesn't really get any whiter than that, but it's distinct, and not really that weird, so I'm alright with it.

Do you add an 'e' on the end in winter? (I'm assuming that such is the basis of your username.)

Last edited:
AnTiFreeze3 said:
Hence antifreeze.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Hence antifreeze.

Exactly. I was wondering if anyone would figure that out.

DaveC426913 said:

The version I read was about a guy who joined the Army. The recruiter sat down with him to fill out the enlistment form, and asked, "OK, what's your name?"

"B N Jones."

"I need your full name, not initials."

"That's all my parents gave me, believe it or not."

So the recruiter filled in the name as "B (only) N (only) Jones."

The guy went off to boot camp. The first morning, the sargeant called the roll. He came to Jones, paused, then snapped "Bonly Nonly Jones!"

Jones stepped forward, saluted, and snapped back, "Here!"

And that's what they called him all the way through his stay in the Army.

--------

My parents and I knew an elderly gent named "P. H. Wolfe" in our church back home. He always went by that name, and it wasn't until after I had gone off to grad school that my parents finally happened to find out what the initials meant: "Pleasant Harmonious".

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I agree. I've gotten mail for Carr, deCarr, Decarr, Decar, Van, Vande, Van de Cart, and other permutations and combinations. That's why I combined it into one word. I have to say it worked. We Dutch people are practical if a bit stubborn and proud.
Exactly, I had the exact same thing happen. Especially the degeneration into Van or Vande.. grrr.
You may be correct. We can document our American ancestors to about 1680 (after the English took over). We found Dirk van der Kar (or Karr) through Ancestors.com. I remember it was "der" instead of "de", but there may have been just one "r". There was no documentation. The later ancestors used "de."
I know what happened, your ancestor arrived in the US and had his name written down by a government worker who wrote "van de Kar", he tried to correct it: "no, van der Kar, you need to add an R", so the government worker wrote down "van de Karr".
EDIT: I just saw this: Vandebromfiets. I like it. I'll have to contact your Queen. That could be my name when I visit The Netherlands..
hahaha
lisab said:
Actually I've heard that the name with an added "r" (van der) signifies a family of higher status, probably because it was more distinguished language at the time.
Danger said:
Considering how you reacted to my attempt at a Dutch accent, I'd best stay right the hell away from French altogether.
That accent was closest to German :tongue:
(By the bye, I'll stop referring to you as my personal language guru if you you persist in using "flare" instead of "flair".) :tongue:
Whoops, uhm.. you know how fiery the French are :uhh: I don't consider myself a language guru.

Monique said:
Whoops, uhm.. you know how fiery the French are :uhh:
:rofl:
Touche´.

Monique said:
That accent was closest to German :tongue:
Yeah, I know. It's a common problem for me; my tongue got in front of my eyetooth so I couldn't see what I was saying...

DaveC426913 said:

Could not get a credit card to save his life. The application kept being rejected with a request for full name spelled out - no initials. Finally, in frustration, he sent in the form as R (only) B (only) Jones.

Finally he got approved for a credit card - under the name Ronly Bonly Jones...

My father's father was named OC. Those aren't initials, that is his name. Luckily, he lived in the rural south and died in the late 1970s so he never had to worry about credit card applications.

Jack21222 said:
Luckily, he lived in the rural south and died in the late 1970s so he never had to worry about credit card applications.
I sort of have to wonder about your priorities, Jack.

turbo said:
My mother had intended to name me Peter, but when the hospital staff showed up with the forms, she opted to name me after my father. Believe me, Harley was not a good name to be saddled with in the 50s. I don't know what came over her.
The name Peter Orr may also have been awkward when you were in school.

Chronos said:
The name Peter Orr may also have been awkward when you were in school.
:confused:

I suspect that this should be obviously humourous, but it isn't setting off any sirens for me.

lisab said:

Well, that would certainly make for an interesting moniker...

Does the USA have regulations for name assignment? With the names I've heard come by I would assume not.
Nope, no rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well this thread got popular :)

I was hoping to get feedback on the idea of actually changing a name.

I would do this because I think a name is a very important symbol to represent who you are. It is often also the first thing a person might judge you on, and is the symbol that people use to remember you by.

I think a first name should be generic, or at least easy to pronounce, but I think a last name should add some element of uniqueness.

I know that in the big picture, what you actually do matters much more than what you are called. But I think what you are called still matters some.

I look at people around me, and I realize I did form initial opinions on name. And of course, once the inception occurs, the mind looks to reaffirm the idea.

My name is fine, but not great. Some people's names however... I would really not want it. And I don't understand how someone ever thought it a good choice. I think these people should definitely change their name, because I think everyone around them forms at least some sort of initial expectation when they hear the name.

Give me some hard analysis of these ideas PF... am I overly shallow?

pa5tabear said:
am I overly shallow?

Yes, but it's common. For instance, your name implies to me that you are large and eat a lot of macaroni. I won't judge you for it, though.

I knew a woman years ago who wanted to change her name to "Lotus". Just Lotus.

So she took the legal steps (show you're not a felon, give the court a list of your creditors, etc.) and went to court to make her case to the judge.

She was nervous but she had a long, thought-out argument ready. Her case came up, the judge looked at the paperwork, nodded to the clerk, and it was a done deal. She never got to argue her case!

As long as you have a clean record, it's not a big deal.

Unless you get the jerk judge, I guess.