Has anyone tried Harry Potter magic?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magic
In summary, it seems that the idea of using real magic from the Harry Potter books is not very popular among the conversation participants. Some have experimented with spells and potions, but it is generally believed to be just a fun fantasy and not something that actually works. One member even received a replica of the Elder wand as a gift.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does it work? If not why not? I was expecting to find entire social groups established just for this purpose but a google search did not conjure up any.

Physics news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
Does it work?

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. It does not work.

Likes EnumaElish
If it worked the IRS would have disappeared long ago.

Likes EnumaElish
What do you mean? Are you expecting to find communities that gather together the ingredients and devices mentioned in the books and attempt the spells written in? If so, why would you expect to find that, much less expect it to work?

I feel we're missing something in this thread (perhaps a joke) so I'll leave it open for now but post a reminder for all to read the SF&F subforum rules:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/science-fiction-and-fantasy-reviews-forum-rules.680313/

Likes EnumaElish
It's not out of the realm of possibility that such groups would meet. We have Klingon Klubs devoted to speaking gibberish, Wiccans who worship ... something, etc.

Likes EnumaElish
I meant it lightly but, at the end of the day, seriously, along the lines of costume or cooking clubs. More generally fan clubs. I do not expect it to work but was and am interested to find out if anyone out there thought it might.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Does it work? If not why not? I was expecting to find entire social groups established just for this purpose but a google search did not conjure up any.
I see what you did there.

No, it doesn't work. There's no reason to think that it would.

Imagine that we wished to duplicate the effect of the levitation charm as described in the Harry Potter book series. There are an infinite number of things we could try and a smaller, though I imagine still infinite, number of things we could try that would work well enough to be indistinguishable from magic. What could possibly lead you to believe that waving a stick and incanting "Wingardium Leviosa" would be one of them? This particular hypothesis does not merit the level of attention you've given it. (Credit due to E. Yudkowsky)

Even if you had the extrodinary luck to be born into a world where magic exists, acquired a legitimately magical wand, and found detailed instructions in a book of magical education, you still couldn't perform the levitation charm. Because you, EnumaElish, are a muggle. Take heart, though. As consolation, entire social groups have been established just for the purpose of playing quidditch.

Likes CalcNerd and EnumaElish
If you're in search of people who are seriously devoted to superstition, look no further than your local church. Baptizing an infant imbues them with magical protection and gains favor with a supreme supernatural being? If that sort of thing isn't believing in sorcery, I don't know what is.

Likes AaronK, billy_joule, phinds and 1 other person
I thought there'd be muggle societies specifically for Potterian magic. @jackwhirl made clear why that's a chimaera.

Of course it works. Oh ye of little faith.

Likes Fervent Freyja and EnumaElish
EnumaElish said:
if anyone out there thought it might.

Yes, in prepubescence.

Edit: I should also mention that I did build my own wand and try out all the incantations for myself. I also experimented and tried to make some of the potions and who-knows-what-else...

Quite passionately at that. :biggrin:

How else could you validate those claims? Take the book on its word? No way, I need proof.

Edit 2: I also made butterbeer in the microwave by melting butterscotch candies and cream soda! :DD

Likes AaronK, jackwhirl and EnumaElish
Fervent Freyja said:
Edit: I should also mention that I did build my own wand and try out all the incantations for myself. I also experimented and tried to make some of the potions and who-knows-what-else...
I'm sixty-five and I got a copy of the Elder wand for Christmas two years ago.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I'm sixty-five and I got a copy of the Elder wand for Christmas two years ago.

What a great gift, lucky you! :smile:

Likes EnumaElish
Fervent Freyja said:
What a great gift, lucky you! :smile:
Sadly, it didn't come with any instructions. :frown:

Likes AaronK, Fervent Freyja and EnumaElish
Did you wrest it from the grip of its previous owner?

jackwhirl said:
Did you wrest it from the grip of its previous owner?
No, I wrested it from the grip of my wife.

Noisy Rhysling said:
No, I wrested it from the grip of my wife.

Aww! So, do you have any Harry Potter themed gift ideas that you have been thinking of surprising her with? Do you guys have a time-turner yet? :smile:

Fervent Freyja said:
Aww! So, do you have any Harry Potter themed gift ideas that you have been thinking of surprising her with? Do you guys have a time-turner yet? :smile:
I think she'd like one, yeah. I've considered it, but she has to get me Saruman's staff first. (She's into Tom Baker stuff, so that's my first thought for her.)

Likes Fervent Freyja

What is "Harry Potter magic"?

"Harry Potter magic" refers to the magical abilities and spells depicted in the Harry Potter book and movie series. These magical abilities include casting spells, brewing potions, and using magical objects and creatures.

Can people actually perform "Harry Potter magic"?

No, "Harry Potter magic" is fictional and cannot be performed in real life. It is important to remember that the Harry Potter series is a work of fiction and should not be confused with reality.

Has anyone ever successfully performed "Harry Potter magic"?

No, because "Harry Potter magic" is fictional, it cannot be performed in real life. However, some people may claim to have performed "Harry Potter magic" as a joke or for entertainment purposes.

Are there any real-life practices similar to "Harry Potter magic"?

While "Harry Potter magic" is not real, there are some real-world practices that may share similarities, such as certain spiritual or religious beliefs, meditation, and visualization techniques. However, these practices should not be confused with "Harry Potter magic" as they are not the same.

Why do people still ask about "Harry Potter magic" if it's not real?

People may ask about "Harry Potter magic" because they enjoy the fantasy and escape of the Harry Potter series, or because they are curious about the concepts portrayed in the books and movies. It is important to remember that while "Harry Potter magic" is not real, it can still be a source of entertainment or inspiration for some people.