Has the current through battery 1 changed?

In summary, the current through battery 1 can be measured using an ammeter and can be affected by factors such as circuit resistance, battery voltage, and number of devices connected. It is possible for the current to change without external factors, but under normal circumstances, it is influenced by external factors. To determine if the current has changed, an ammeter can be used to measure at different points in time. It is also possible for the current to remain constant if all external factors remain constant.
cy19861126

Homework Statement

In this problem, box A and box B contain unknown combinations of light buls. Bulb 1 is identical to bulb 2. The batteries are ideal.
1. a) In the circuit A (see first attached pic) the voltage across bulb 1 and the voltage across box A are equal. What, if anything can you say about the resistance of box A compared to the resistance of bulb 1. Explain
b) Write an expression for the voltage across the battery, V(Bat), in terms of the voltage readings across box A and across the bulb V(Box A), V (Bulb 1)
2. a) In the circuit B (see second attached pic) the voltage across bulb 2 and the voltage across box B were find to be equal. What, if anything, can you say about the resistance of Box B compared to the resistance of bulb 2?
b) Write an expression for the voltage across the battery V(Bat) in terms of the voltage readings across box B and across the bulb V(Box B) V (Bulb 2)?
3. Box A and box B are now interchanged. It is observed that bulb 2 is now brighter than it was when box B was in that circuit
a). Is the resistance of box A greater than, less than, or equal tot he resistance of box B?
b) Has the current through battery 1 changed? If so, how?
c) Has the current through battery 2 changed? If so how?

Homework Equations

V = IR
Series: Req = R1 + R2
Parallel: Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. a)Nothing. Without current given, we pretty much cannot tell which resistence is higher.
b) V(Bat) = (V(BoxA)+V(bulb1))/2
2. a) The resistence are the same
b) V(Bat) = B(Box B) + V(Bulb 2)
3. a) Less than. Brighter bulb means more current and less resistence
b) Yes, more current
c) Yes, less current

PS: It seems like I have no problem in determining current and resistence from the given information, but a huge problem in determining voltage. Please provide some clue to this problem. Many thanks~~

Attachments

• TUT pt2 2a.jpg
    TUT pt2 2a.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 874
  • TUT pt2 2b.jpg
    TUT pt2 2b.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 748
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the voltage in the first circuit would be the same as the source voltage because all components are in parallel. So that's no problem.

As for the second circuit series circuit, if you have equal resistances, then the voltage is shared equally by the bulbs, which you already stated. However upon changing boxes, you find the brightness of the bulb increases. This means that the current increases in the circuit. So given the equation V = IR, does that help in anyway to give you an idea about the change in voltage? Remember that the current increased due to increased brightness, therefore for the bulb, we have more current flowing through it which gives it a...?

From your statement, it seems that voltage and current are directly related. Increasing the current increases the voltage by using the equation, V = IR. However, there is also this other equation P = IV. This equation shows you that current and voltage are inversely related. How can this be so?

Indeed, voltage is proportional to current as given by V = IR. When you consider the case that you've asked, it is true that V = P/I. But power can be either IV, I2R, or V2/R. So if we can say
V=P/I = (IV)/I = V
V = (I2R)/I = IR = V
V = (V2/R)/I = V2/(IR) = V2/V = V

You will find the same is true for current. What I'm getting at here is that we can't have power without a combination or V,I, or R. And no matter what the combination, we get V = V which is the same as V = IR, so we come back to the direct relation of V and I.

1. How do you measure the current through battery 1?

The current through battery 1 can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric current in a circuit.

2. What factors can cause a change in the current through battery 1?

The current through battery 1 can be affected by factors such as the resistance of the circuit, the voltage of the battery, and the number of devices connected to the circuit.

3. Can the current through battery 1 change without any external factors?

It is possible for the current through battery 1 to change without any external factors if there is a malfunction or damage to the battery or circuit. However, under normal circumstances, the current through battery 1 is influenced by external factors.

4. How can I determine if the current through battery 1 has changed?

You can determine if the current through battery 1 has changed by measuring it with an ammeter at different points in time. If the current reading is different, then the current through battery 1 has changed.

5. Is it possible for the current through battery 1 to remain constant?

Yes, it is possible for the current through battery 1 to remain constant if all the external factors that influence it remain constant. This means that the resistance of the circuit, voltage of the battery, and number of devices connected to the circuit remain the same.