Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Has this ever happened to anyone?

1. Nov 2, 2006 #1
    When I was 8 years old, I went to the dentist. I remember being extremely scared. I got through it with loud screams. When she was finished and I was still on the chair, she asked me if I was ok. Right then, I experienced what I call "double vision". Like in movies, when someone gets hurt or gets hit in the head and wake up later, they see "double" and 5 seconds after "both" images come together and they can see fine again. That's what happened to me, it's like I was about to faint. And I couldn't hear well, her voice was very distant. After she said "are you ok?" I didn't answer because of the double vision, and when she said my name over and over it sounded very distant and it was sort of echoing, I would say it sounded "eerie". I thought I was dying. Did this happen because I was so scared of dentists or not? I've always wanted to know and I'm not sure this is in the right place

Click here for a picture, this is how close I can get to making a picture of what it looked like

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

In extreme fear, your blood vessels can open wide, causing a rapid drop in blood pressure, especially in the head. Your eye muscles couldn't keep your eyes both pointd in the same direction (causing double vision), or focused. Everything else is a symptom of the same loss in pressure. If you'd been standing, you likely would have fainted.

4. Nov 4, 2006 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In addition to Dave's explanation, which is very plausible, an alternative explanation I might speculate would be if you were feeling pain and hyperresponsive to it because of the fear, you might have had a release of endogenous opioids (natural painkillers, among other things), and the sensation was somewhat like that of being "high" or "drunk."

But, the bottom line is, yes, it's very likely it was the fear reaction that led to that unusual sensation for you.

5. Nov 4, 2006 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I have totally the reverse reaction when in the dentists chair, i tend to fall asleep, if were not for the rough drill vibrating my tail bone i am sure i would.

6. Nov 5, 2006 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I think I speak for us all here, Wolram, when I say "what an ass".

7. Nov 5, 2006 #6

Mk

I kinda go with wolram on this one actually.

8. Nov 6, 2006 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That was meant to be a joke.

The guy who complained about his two hot roommates wanting a threesome gets the same response.

9. Nov 6, 2006 #8
    LOL! Hahahaha My friend just told me the same thing! :P:P funny..

10. Dec 6, 2006 #9
    Yes

Yes, I was at the dentists today and that happened to me and no it wasn't fear, it was an adverse reaction to the numbing agent they gave you.

http://members.tripod.com/~PorphBook/40.html

Here is more information about it. It sucked and was totally terrifyling for me.

11. Dec 6, 2006 #10

Mk

Was it really? Because I find my body to be extremely relaxed. You know... except for the mouth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?