Hatch/Lid opening help against gravity- references ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for references to systems, designs, and mechanisms that can make the opening and closing of large hatches or lids effortless. The person is not interested in powered systems and prefers energy storage/release mechanisms that are compact. Suggestions are made for using counterweights, springs, and gas springs, but the person is looking for more specific options that are not affected by temperature and have a range of motion of 100 degrees. The idea of using hydraulics to change rotation to translation and using a linear spring and plunger is proposed, but the person is unfamiliar with hydraulic systems and is referred to Wikipedia for more information.
achopra1
I am looking for references to systems/designs/mechanisms that can help make the opening/closing efforts of large Hatches/Lids near effortless.
Not looking for powered systems - more like energy storage/release mechanisms. Preferably very compact designs.
Appreciate it if somebody can help point to references or even commercial systems...

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's done all the time using counterweights, springs, gas springs, and other devices. Maybe you could be a bit more specific or post a drawing of what you're trying to do.

I am looking for spring/counter weight ideas that are extremely compact and not affected by temperature. That cuts out gas springs. The range of motion needs to be about 100 degrees so most simple springs will not work.

How about a http://www.engineersedge.com/spring_torsion_calc.htm" [Broken]?

Last edited by a moderator:
Torsion springs are too big in diameter for large hatches. I am talking about say 300 Nm torque requirement over 100 degree opening

Maybe use hydraulics to change the rotation to a translation, and use a traditional linear spring and plunger to store the energy?

That sounds interesting. I have not dealt with hydraulic systems. Can you point to some systems that use concepts like these so I can look and learn ?

I know almost nothing about hydraulics, sorry. So I'll punt and refer you to wikipedia.org. When I searched on hydraulics at wikipedia, it redirected me to the more general topic of "fluid power":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_power

What is the purpose of hatch/lid opening help against gravity?

The purpose of hatch/lid opening help against gravity is to make it easier to open and close a hatch or lid by reducing the effects of gravity. This can be achieved through the use of counterweights, springs, or other mechanical devices. The goal is to make it more convenient and less strenuous for individuals to access the contents of a hatch or lid.

How does hatch/lid opening help against gravity work?

The specific mechanism for hatch/lid opening help against gravity can vary depending on the design and purpose of the hatch or lid. However, the general principle is to provide a force that counteracts the downward pull of gravity. This can be achieved through the use of a counterweight that provides an upward force, or through the use of a spring that pushes against the weight of the hatch or lid.

What are the benefits of hatch/lid opening help against gravity?

The benefits of hatch/lid opening help against gravity include making it easier and less physically demanding to open and close a hatch or lid. This can be especially useful for hatches or lids that are heavy or in hard-to-reach locations. Additionally, hatch/lid opening help against gravity can also reduce the risk of injury from lifting heavy objects.

Are there any drawbacks to hatch/lid opening help against gravity?

One potential drawback of hatch/lid opening help against gravity is the added complexity and cost of incorporating a mechanism to assist with opening and closing. This can also make maintenance and repairs more complicated. Additionally, if the mechanism fails, it may make it more difficult to open or close the hatch or lid without assistance.

Where can I find more information about hatch/lid opening help against gravity?

More information about hatch/lid opening help against gravity can be found through scientific journals and publications, engineering websites, and industry conferences. Additionally, speaking with engineers or manufacturers who specialize in hatch or lid designs may also provide valuable insights and resources.