1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Have 2 Masters, thinking about PHD, but

1. Feb 11, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I got my undergraduate in Electrical Engineering. Then went right to work at a government sponsored research lab. I got into a part-time masters program from a good school and got two non-thesis masters: one in Electrical Engineering, the other in Computer Science. The reason for two masters is because I work in communications and both skills are needed daily.

Currently I'm 25 and have a strong desire for a PHD because I finally have the tools (EE math, CompSci programing) to really explore a research area.

So:
    Am I a good candidate? If not what am I missing?
    What is the process for someone in my situation to get into a PHD program?

ANY additional info will help. Don't know many in my shoes.

-Liam

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't see why you wouldn't be a good candidate based on the limited information you have provided. The steps would be the same as if you were still in school: study for and take the GRE, line up letters of rec from professors who knew your work (plus one from your employer), and apply next fall.

I don't know about your employer, but most industry employers will defray costs for a degree program. It takes longer (as I'm sure you found out while working towards your masters degrees) but you may be able to tie your thesis into a project of interest to your employer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook