Have page selection boxes at top of pages

• Thread starter morrobay
  • Start date
In summary, the person wants a "return to top" link at the bottom of a page so that people don't have to scroll back up to the top if they want to re-read the first post or see something else available at the top that's not at the bottom.
morrobay
Gold Member
Have pages box also on top of pages. So don't have to scroll down to bottom of page to select page/last page.

• Love
Likes Tom.G
Physics news on Phys.org
But... we do?
Example thread

pages.png

Interesting. I thought I had seen some threads without the page shortcuts at top or bottom (I forget which), but now I'm not seeing them.

@morrobay -- can you link to a thread where you are seeing this now?

@Greg Bernhardt -- Was there a recent change that fixed this?

The top
1605317787365.png

The bottom
1605317811861.png

mfb said:
You have shown the static element which is not at all what he is asking for. He wants a dynamic one that stays visible as you scroll down the page, not one that just scrolls off the page as soon as you start scrolling down.

mfb said:
But... we do?
Example thread

Not on mobile:
2020-11-13 21.16.52.png

Of course, screen space is much more limited on mobile, so adding a page navigation button might push the relevant information further down that would be ideal.

berkeman said:
I thought I had seen some threads without the page shortcuts at top or bottom (I forget which), but now I'm not seeing them.

If there's no Page 2, there's no button for Page 2.

@morrobay: We could have skipped a lot of guessing if you would have told us directly that you mean the mobile version.
I don't use the mobile version, but it's probably to save space. @Greg Bernhardt will know more.
phinds said:
You have shown the static element which is not at all what he is asking for. He wants a dynamic one that stays visible as you scroll down the page, not one that just scrolls off the page as soon as you start scrolling down.
I don't share that interpretation.

Likes morrobay
mfb said:
I don't see how else you CAN interpret "Have pages box also on top of pages. So don't have to scroll down to bottom of page to select page/last page. "

• Skeptical
Likes Wrichik Basu
morrobay said:
Have pages box also on top of pages. So don't have to scroll down to bottom of page to select page/last page.
phinds said:
mfb said:
So, @morrobay, how 'bout you jump in here and tell us what you DO mean if you don't mean what I think you mean?

phinds said:
So, @morrobay, how 'bout you jump in here and tell us what you DO mean if you don't mean what I think you mean?
See post #9. Not about page box being visible while scrolling down a page. But at the top of each page, have page box like at bottom of pages.

morrobay said:
The mobil version also does not have math and Greek alphabet symbols when clicking on gear.
You can get the Greek alphabets by simply enabling Greek language in the keyboard.

I agree having it at the top would be nice.

What we need is a "return to top" link at the bottom of a page. This was something that was always drilled into me about web page design "never leave a person stuck at the bottom of a page without a simple "click" available to take them back to the top. I HATE having to scroll back up to the top if I want to re-read the first post, or see something else available at the top that's not at the bottom. The page links serve this purpose if there is more than one page, but many threads are just one long page (like this one right now).

Likes phinds
morrobay said:
See post #9. Not about page box being visible while scrolling down a page. But at the top of each page, have page box like at bottom of pages.
Ah. Gotcha. You'd rather do it the hard way.

Evo said:
What we need is a "return to top" link at the bottom of a page.
That option is always there - a floating button appears on the RHS of the page when you start scrolling up (both on Android web version and desktop version):

1605472659642.png

Likes Evo
Wrichik Basu said:
That option is always there - a floating button appears on the RHS of the page when you start scrolling up (both on Android web version and desktop version):

View attachment 272660
I don't get that on my workstation running Firefox under Windows 10 Pro. Where do you get it? OOPS ... never mind me. I wasn't even here.

• Haha
Likes Evo
Wrichik Basu said:

View attachment 272660
That was never there before, you placed it there! :doh:

• Haha
Likes Wrichik Basu, BillTre and phinds

1. What is the purpose of having page selection boxes at the top of pages?

The purpose of having page selection boxes at the top of pages is to allow users to easily navigate to different pages within a website or document. This is especially useful for longer documents or websites with multiple pages.

2. How do page selection boxes work?

Page selection boxes typically consist of a drop-down menu or a list of page numbers. Users can select a specific page from the menu or list to be taken directly to that page.

3. Are page selection boxes necessary for all websites or documents?

No, page selection boxes are not necessary for all websites or documents. They are most commonly used for longer documents or websites with multiple pages. If a website or document is short and only has a few pages, page selection boxes may not be needed.

4. Can page selection boxes be customized?

Yes, page selection boxes can be customized to fit the design and layout of a website or document. This can include changing the font, color, or size of the page numbers or adding images or icons to the box.

5. Are there any alternatives to using page selection boxes?

Yes, there are alternative methods for navigating through pages, such as using a table of contents or a sidebar menu. However, page selection boxes are a common and user-friendly option for page navigation.