(What) Level are you / is the question

In summary: If you want it a bit smaller, "Requested Response: {BR, IR, AR}" is only slightly bigger than the [BR] prefix box.This is a good point. How about "Desired Response Level" with the options "Basic," "Intermediate," and "Advanced"? This makes it clear that it is referring to the level of response the OP is seeking, rather than their own knowledge level. And it is concise enough to fit in the current prefix selector box. However, I do agree with @DaveC426913 that it may be confusing for some. Maybe adding a short explanation or tooltip could help clarify the meaning.
Haborix
It seems somewhat common that a poster marks the level of their thread "I" or "A" but their knowledge of the relevant subject is lower than what's needed to understand the selected level. Setting aside feasibility with the forums architecture, what do people think about language that would make it clear the level being asked is the poster's knowledge? That way, for example, if someone would otherwise ask "Why does a neutron decay into a proton?" and mark it "A" for an advanced question, they would now select "B" because they only have a high school level for background.

I'm imagining the text would be appear on the page where the post gets drafted or even in the drop-down menu for selecting a level. Maybe something like: "Your knowledge," "Your educational background," or... suggestions? Also, I think the current system works well for the vast majority of cases, so a change could just muddle things up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I missed this suggestion! It's definitely a bit confusing. Anyone else agree we could improve the language?

"Your background in this field" instead of "Level" in the dropdown?

• Informative
  • Love
Likes bhobba, pinball1970, Haborix and 3 others
Ibix said:
"Your background in this field" instead of "Level" in the dropdown?
Sounds good on initial impression... however
Egos being what they are, would OPs be inclined to step up a notch?

Maybe "Preferred level of responses"

Likes topsquark, Frabjous, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
If this was just a UK site and I was a newcomer I would suggest:

"Education level"

1.GCSE, 16 and below
2.A level, 16-18
3.University, 18-21
4.Post Graduate, 21+

That would tie in age and or education. Here....

Not a million miles from the US in terms of age and level but I would not know how to pitch a happy medium for a global community.

pinball1970 said:

"Education level"

1.GCSE, 16 and below
2.A level, 16-18
3.University, 18-21
4.Post Graduate, 21+
Without those age groups mentioned, as a person from SE Asia, I would have no idea what GCSE or A-level means. Typically, we have 18-21 college and 21-23 university, below that, just school (could be subdivided into middle and high school).

I like desired response level. I do not always want a response at my education level.

Likes bhobba, BillTre, Wrichik Basu and 2 others
Wrichik Basu said:
Without those age groups mentioned, as a person from SE Asia, I would have no idea what GCSE or A-level means. Typically, we have 18-21 college and 21-23 university, below that, just school (could be subdivided into middle and high school).
Yes that's why I mentioned difficulty with a global pitch.

How about stating the US stages but putting (USA) in brackets? It is then up to the poster to do a little work to see where they would fit into a US system and select accordingly.
Greg is American so I do not think that system would be unreasonable to us non US people.

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:

"Education level"

1.GCSE, 16 and below
2.A level, 16-18
3.University, 18-21
4.Post Graduate, 21+

That would tie in age and or education. Here....

Not a million miles from the US in terms of age and level but I would not know how to pitch a happy medium for a global community.
I think "education level" is a bad idea since it can be VERY misleading UNLESS it includes "in the subject matter".

It's not hard to think of someone with a PhD in Mech Eng. asking a question about Quantum Mechanics for which he has no understanding at all.

Likes Wrichik Basu and topsquark
Frabjous said:
I like desired response level. I do not always want a response at my education level.
what he said (very small).jpg

pinball1970 said:
How about "knowledge and/ or education of subject matter?"
No, "desired RESPONSE in terms of your knowledge/education". Unless it is explicitly stated, some people will invariably interpret it as their level, not the level of the answer they want. See post #10

Tom.G said:
Sounds good on initial impression... however
Egos being what they are, would OPs be inclined to step up a notch?

Maybe "Preferred level of responses"
I like this idea. However, and I want to add that I'm not trying to start (or continue) an argument, consider this recent thread where the OP did just that and caught some "heck" for it.

Clearly, not everyone is going to be on-board with this idea.

-Dan

There is a design UX component to this as well. Consider how it displays in the new thread menu. It's already a rather large prefix selector box. What about in mobile too?

Can you separate the selector box from the title? So it looks like:

Response level (i): <dropdown>
<Title textbox>

Then you could make the dropdown just Basic/Intermediate/Advanced or B/I/A and make the (i) an "information" link to an Insights page or something similar to the LaTeX guide, which explains in a bit more detail.

Likes hutchphd and topsquark
topsquark said:
I like this idea. However, and I want to add that I'm not trying to start (or continue) an argument, consider this recent thread where the OP did just that and caught some "heck" for it.

Clearly, not everyone is going to be on-board with this idea.

-Dan
I would argue that people answering the question that they want to be asked is a different issue.

Last edited:
Likes topsquark
Greg Bernhardt said:
There is a design UX component to this as well. Consider how it displays in the new thread menu. It's already a rather large prefix selector box. What about in mobile too?
I would suggest Requested {Basic, Intermediate, Advanced} which is about the size of what is already there.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G
Frabjous said:
I would suggest Requested {Basic, Intermediate, Advanced} which is about the size of what is already there.
Or if the UX has priority over clarity,

the "Requested Response..." or "Preferred Response" could be "Desired Response..." (2 fewer ltrs.), with the word "Level" being implied as suggested by @Frabjous.

Or even "Wanted Level" (3 fewer ltrs.). But that seems to be stretching the cognitive load of the poster. (and sounds rather, umm... unprofessional)

Last edited:
Likes Frabjous