Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have some ideas looking for feedback

1. Sep 4, 2007 #1
    Hey guys...i've had some ideas floating around in my head for a while, but really dont have anyone to talk to about them.

quick intro first. i'm 24, i dont have a degree in any related field, and im sure im not as intellegent as most people on here...so im a little intimidated. I've always been interested in this subject matter and finally decided to get a few answers.

If my questions are stupid or the ideas have already been suggested and disproved, i appologise in advance. I'm basically looking for someone to say "no, its not possible because..." or "yea, i suppose it might be possible but..." so i can finally stop thinking about it lol

Firstly...black holes. I guess im just not satisfied with the currently accepted thought. Instead of being a "hole in the fabric of space time", why not just an extremely dense star? would it be possible for a star more dense than a neutron star to exist? a "quark star" or something of that nature? would it not have the same properties as a black hole of equivalant mass? as long as the same mass exists whithin the event horizon, it would behave the same way, wouldnt it?

Next, the big bang. yes, i agree with the principle, but instead of starting from a "quantum fluxuation", why not a single large mass ("quark star", essentially a single enormus neutron containing all the matter and energy in the universe today whithin it). that became unstable, as such a mass likely would, and had basically a nuclear reaction on a grand scale. Starting with a larger mass would account for the relatively even nature of the universe today.

enough for now...i guess i'll wait to see if i get the noob treatment, lol.

if this is in the wrong section...sorry.

Greg Coulter

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start by giving Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time a read. I think you will find that will help with these questions.

A black hole IS a massive "star".

There is no evidence for the existence of a "enormous neutron" what ever that might be.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Indeed, you should read up on black holes. One way of forming a black hole is through the gravitational collapse of a massive star. In addition to the reference Integral provides, try checking out the Cambridge Relativity page; a page written for the layperson.

Of course, we don't really know what caused the big bang. I don't see that a large massive particle would be the simplest idea, or that there is any evidence supporting this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?