Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have the planck scales been proven to be true?

1. Jul 11, 2013 #1
    has it been proven that space and time are quantized in the planck length and planck time?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2013 #2
    No. not at all.

4. Jul 11, 2013 #3
    my astronomy professor said that space and time are quantized.. the thing is.. i'd like to think that he wasn't talking out of his rear no offense to him at all. but i just don't see anyone else agreeing with him, which is why i'm asking

but if they aren't proven to be true, what ARE they? are they theorized fundamental units of space and time?

5. Jul 11, 2013 #4
    The significance of the Planck length and Planck time is that to understand physics at these length and time scales, we will need a quantum theory of gravity.

6. Jul 11, 2013 #5
    There are a lot of people that agree with him, but there are not any experiments that do (or that disagree). What is his level of training?

7. Jul 11, 2013 #6
    what do you mean? he's a full professor.

8. Jul 11, 2013 #7
    I didn't know if he was just a lecturer or something. I am not an expert, but the last I heard there was only one proposed experiment to show that time is quantized and the funding was slow. I don't remember who, it was. I'll see if I can any info.

9. Jul 11, 2013 #8

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This question was answered in message #2. "But someone else said..." is not an acceptable counter-argument here, I'm afraid. There's no point in us arguing with a third party through the OP.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook