Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you ever seen the highly educated in possession of firearm(s)?

1. Mar 2, 2012 #1
    Professors, phd holders, do they practice the 2nd Amen.(2 lng, cnt spel)?

Even a NRA member like Michael Moore?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Mar 2, 2012 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No.

But people rarely expose the weapons they're carrying, regardless of what level of education they've attained.

5. Mar 2, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A good friend of mine has a PhD, a couple hundred papers, is a fellow of the APS, and hunts regularly.

6. Mar 2, 2012 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good friend of mine is a Ph.D nuclear engineer, a lifetime member of the NRA, and a highly dedicated gun owner interested only in personal defense.

7. Mar 3, 2012 #6
    Out of interest, how many times has he had to defend himself with the gun?

8. Mar 3, 2012 #7
    Haven't most astronauts come from the Air Force or other military branches?

9. Mar 3, 2012 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

None that I know of, but I've never asked.

I too have plenty of weapons for personal defense. Any reasonable person hopes to never use a gun for actual defense, but it you ever do need it, there is no substitution.

Most cops have never shot anyone, for that matter.

10. Mar 3, 2012 #9
    It's an interesting topic that's for sure. Here in Australia, guns just aren't really part of the culture.

11. Mar 3, 2012 #10
    Wrt the title question, yes. But, in my experience, most of the highly educated people I know don't bother owning guns. I think that that's primarily due to the fact that they tend to live in safe, upscale neighborhoods (the sorts of places where you can actually walk around at night unarmed and not worry about getting mugged).

Whether or not they, as a group, are predominantly in favor of, or opposed to, the 2nd Amendment ... I have no idea.

12. Mar 3, 2012 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Yep, and I hope to be one too. I like fresh, local meat.

13. Mar 3, 2012 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

They must also lack the motive of hunting.

14. Mar 3, 2012 #13
    I have no idea about that. I would guess that there could be quite a lot of them. I just don't know any.

15. Mar 3, 2012 #14

alt

Gold Member

I don't know too many highly educated folk, but I do know many highly successful ones. Many of them have firearms for protection only. A few are into hunting.

16. Mar 3, 2012 #15

turbo

Gold Member

I don't consider myself "highly educated", but I live at least 20 minutes away from a nearest response. I'd rather have a couple of loaded pistols at the ready than not be prepared. I hunt with a single-shot rifle because I want to be sure and humane when killing a deer, so it's not like I'm some nut blazing away when I see a deer. I have spent too much time tracking wounded deer for others, and eventually I stopped doing that. It seems like that encouraged ###holes to blaze away with no clean kill-shot and no respect for the deer.

17. Mar 3, 2012 #16

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well yes, education is no barrier to enjoyment of reloading, target shooting and appreciation of fine firearms.

Come on now you cant be serious about Michael Moore as "highly educated".
    He's a busybody nincompoop dropout from U of Michigan-Flint who, if he had any business worth minding, would mind it instead of trying to mind everybody else's.

old jim

18. Mar 3, 2012 #17
    Well, you live in the country, right? That's different. I'd have a few guns, and maybe a lot more, if I lived 20 minutes from nearest response.

Most highly educated (ie., PhD) people live in urban areas (I'm guessing ... I don't know) due to proximity to companies, colleges, various research facilities, etc.

I used to like to go out and shoot with a few friends. Mostly we shot at cans and stuff. But I'm only medium highly educated.

I gave the guns to my nephews. Hopefully they won't have to kill anything with them. Currently, I'm totally unarmed, living in a really nice section of Fort Lauderdale.

19. Mar 3, 2012 #18

turbo

Gold Member

A couple of people that I knew as a kid (fathers of close friends) were reloaders. They wouldn't buy new ammunition when they could could reload their own. One of the fathers was a doctor and the other was the only lawyer in town. They weren't ignorant people. They would sometimes spend quiet evenings in their basements resizing shell casings, re-loading shot shells, etc. They might not have been the smartest people in town, but they had the most college education.

20. Mar 3, 2012 #19
    A doctor and a lawyer. Yeah, that qualifies as highly educated, albeit in a niche sense. But then, I suppose that's characteristic of all high education.

Anyway, I think a lot of it has to do with one's circumstances. If I had decided to stay in the town I grew up in I'd probably be a reloader, no matter what my level of educatiion. But instead I got into tennis ... and other things. It's just circumstances, situations. A lot of which we don't pay attention to until it's gotten hold of us and it becomes apparent that it's determining the course of our lives.

Anyway, guns are an ok hobby, and, for some people in some situations, a necessity, imho.

21. Mar 3, 2012 #20

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I know a few highly educated folks, including PhDs, who own guns, collect guns in some cases, hunt and/or do competitive shooting. They don't advertise it - except perhaps in their personal space.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook