Have you volunteered with Engineers Without Borders for clean water projects?

• Thread starter chasely
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the decision to study Civil Engineering with a concentration in water resources and the desire to use this knowledge to develop clean water resources for those in need. The speaker also asks for any experience with Engineers Without Borders (EWB) and mentions the benefits of working with non-profit engineering. The other person shares their experience working on multiple projects with EWB, highlighting the personal and leadership growth opportunities, as well as the focus on simple and sustainable technologies.
chasely
I have finally decided on Civil Engineering (with a concentration in water resources engineering), and want to spend some time developing clean water resources for people in need.

Until just a short time ago I did not know this organization existed, so I was wondering if anyone has any experience with EWB. I think it would be an amazing opportunity to start a career working in non-profit engineering.

So, if you have experience with EWB or have any engineering volunteer work under your belt I would like to hear what project you worked on, where it was, and how you felt about your experience.

Physics news on Phys.org
I worked on 2 projects and lead another. One of the most personally rewarding experiences in my life. It will give you solid leadership experience and let you experience parts of the world the way the locals experience it and not like a tourist. It's not super technical though so don't expect to gain lots of technical know-how. The technologies implemented on the projects are supposed to be simple and easy to use so that the projects are sustainable and the communities can maintain whatever you help put in.

I have not personally volunteered with Engineers Without Borders for clean water projects. However, I have worked closely with engineers on various water-related research projects and I have a deep understanding of the importance of clean water resources for communities in need.

I think it is admirable that you have chosen to focus your career in civil engineering on water resources, and I believe that volunteering with EWB would be a valuable experience for you. Not only would you be able to apply your engineering skills to help those in need, but you would also gain hands-on experience in the field and make a positive impact on communities.

I have heard of Engineers Without Borders and their work in developing clean water resources for communities in need. They have a strong reputation for their commitment to sustainable and community-led solutions. I encourage you to reach out to current or past volunteers to gain first-hand insights into their experiences and the impact they have made.

Volunteering with EWB or any engineering non-profit organization can provide a unique and fulfilling experience. It allows you to use your skills and knowledge for a greater cause and make a positive impact on people's lives. I wish you all the best in your endeavors and encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for clean water resources.

1. What is Engineers Without Borders (EWB)?

Engineers Without Borders (EWB) is a non-profit organization that works to improve the quality of life in developing communities through engineering projects. EWB volunteers use their technical skills to design and implement sustainable solutions for communities in need.

2. What types of projects does EWB work on?

EWB works on a variety of projects, including clean water and sanitation systems, renewable energy systems, transportation infrastructure, and more. The organization prioritizes projects that address the most pressing needs of the community and have a sustainable impact.

3. How does EWB choose which communities to work with?

EWB works with local partners and community leaders to identify communities in need of engineering solutions. These communities must demonstrate a commitment to the project and have the resources and local expertise necessary to support the project's implementation and long-term maintenance.

4. Can anyone volunteer with EWB?

EWB welcomes volunteers from all backgrounds, including engineers, students, and professionals from other fields. However, volunteers must be committed to EWB's mission and be willing to work collaboratively with local partners and community members.

5. How can I get involved with EWB?

There are several ways to get involved with EWB, including volunteering on a project team, joining a local EWB chapter, or making a donation to support EWB's work. You can also spread awareness about EWB's mission and the importance of sustainable engineering solutions in developing communities.