Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you volunteered as a tutor?

1. Apr 15, 2003 #1
    Have any of you scientists ever volunteered to teach the disabled or disadvantaged?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2003 #2
    Well, I tutored students and teachers in high school regarding computers and the internet. i would love to volenteer more.

btw. don't you think participating at PF is volenteering?

4. Apr 15, 2003 #3
    I am willing to tutor any barely legal latinas and/or ebonies who want it.

Seriously though, I think it would be very rewarding to tutor the underpriveleged (those who grew up in sh:tty school districts, i.e. ghettos). Someday, I would like to do so. I think that would be a good way to spend my retirement years.

eNtRopY

5. Apr 16, 2003 #4
    i used to tutor some junior high kid with "ADHD"... but since i "have" ADHD (according to a school psychologist), we never really got much done. so, that gig only lasted about 2-3 weeks.

6. Apr 16, 2003 #5
    I've tutored Math to convicts, does that count?

7. Apr 16, 2003 #6
    Greg-

I hope that PF reaches around the world to share learning with those less fortunate than we. You especially should be proud of that potential.

eNtRopY, Entropia, Daminc-

All good examples of what our gift of knowledge can do for the community at large.

Any others?

8. Apr 17, 2003 #7
    Well, I'm tutoring people that are Freshman, mainly in physics and math, but that's mainly because this way i get to register before everyone else. (A system for recruting tutors, plus i get credits for doing it) I do 9 hours a week and i'm quite happy of doing it. I got 9 regular clients and working for 6 additional hours in a physics/math help center. It's quite fun to help.

9. Apr 18, 2003 #8
    I tutored both college students AND at-risk high school students. I must say that tutoring was not the job for me. Both were paid positions, and both were harder than hell.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook