1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you volunteered as a tutor?

1. Apr 15, 2003 #1
    Have any of you scientists ever volunteered to teach the disabled or disadvantaged?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2003 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

Well, I tutored students and teachers in high school regarding computers and the internet. i would love to volenteer more.

btw. don't you think participating at PF is volenteering?

4. Apr 15, 2003 #3
    I am willing to tutor any barely legal latinas and/or ebonies who want it.

Seriously though, I think it would be very rewarding to tutor the underpriveleged (those who grew up in sh:tty school districts, i.e. ghettos). Someday, I would like to do so. I think that would be a good way to spend my retirement years.

eNtRopY

5. Apr 16, 2003 #4
    i used to tutor some junior high kid with "ADHD"... but since i "have" ADHD (according to a school psychologist), we never really got much done. so, that gig only lasted about 2-3 weeks.

6. Apr 16, 2003 #5
    I've tutored Math to convicts, does that count?

7. Apr 16, 2003 #6
    Greg-

I hope that PF reaches around the world to share learning with those less fortunate than we. You especially should be proud of that potential.

eNtRopY, Entropia, Daminc-

All good examples of what our gift of knowledge can do for the community at large.

Any others?

8. Apr 17, 2003 #7
    Well, I'm tutoring people that are Freshman, mainly in physics and math, but that's mainly because this way i get to register before everyone else. (A system for recruting tutors, plus i get credits for doing it) I do 9 hours a week and i'm quite happy of doing it. I got 9 regular clients and working for 6 additional hours in a physics/math help center. It's quite fun to help.

9. Apr 18, 2003 #8
    I tutored both college students AND at-risk high school students. I must say that tutoring was not the job for me. Both were paid positions, and both were harder than hell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?