Having a hard time understanding whats asked.

• Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard Time
In summary, the author finds the explicit solution to the equation by taking the derivative and solving for x.
MidgetDwarf
Taking an intro ODE class. Class just started and we are using a book, that to me, feels like en encrypted alien language. It is hard to read, but to much words and images, not enough layout. I'm more into theorem/proof style books. The book is too chatty. Well anyways.

It is giving problems trying to do my homework sets. For example.

Show that the implicit solution of 2x sin2 ydxx2 + 10 cos ydy = 0 is given by ln x2 + 10+csc y = c:

This is not explained clearly in the book. ( the directions).

Does this mean to just take the implicit derivative of ln x2 + 10+csc y = c and put into the form that contains the DE.

or does this mean to integrate 2x sin2 ydxx2 + 10 cos ydy = 0.

I am leaning on the implicit differentiation.I already worked out both ways. I am definitely going to get the library and get a book.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should write it using tex. It is hard to read the equations like this.

Yes, please us LaTeX. Your post is close to unreadable.
This should be explained in any good ODE book like Ross.

"Show that the implicit solution of 2x sin2 ydxx2 + 10 cos ydy = 0 is given by ln x2 + 10+csc y = c"

I don't know why you would need "directions". It's pretty straightforward English. You could show that by solving the equation and seeing that the given solution is of the type you got but the simpler way is to put that function into the equation and see that the equation is satisfied.

If you were asked to show that x= 2 is a root of [itex]x^3- 6x^2+ 11x- 6= 0[/itex], you could[/b try to solve the equation but it would make more sense to use the fact that you are already given x= 2, substitute that into the equation, and see what you get!

1. Why am I having a hard time understanding what's being asked of me?

There can be several reasons for this. It could be due to a lack of prior knowledge or understanding of the topic, difficulty in comprehending the language used, or a lack of attention or focus while listening/reading the instructions. It can also be due to a learning disability or cognitive impairment.

2. How can I improve my understanding of tasks or instructions?

One way to improve your understanding is to actively listen and pay attention to the instructions being given. You can also ask for clarification or repeat the instructions in your own words to ensure that you have understood correctly. It may also help to take notes or break down the instructions into smaller, more manageable steps.

3. Is it normal to have a hard time understanding complex tasks or instructions?

Yes, it is normal to have difficulty understanding complex tasks or instructions. It takes time and effort to fully comprehend complex concepts or tasks, and it is natural to struggle with them at first. However, with persistence and practice, understanding can improve.

4. Can anxiety or stress contribute to my difficulty in understanding instructions?

Yes, anxiety and stress can affect your ability to understand instructions. When we are anxious or stressed, our mind can become distracted and have a harder time focusing on the task at hand. It can also make it more difficult to process and retain information. Finding ways to manage and reduce anxiety and stress can help improve your understanding.

5. How can I communicate my difficulty in understanding to others?

It is important to communicate your difficulty in understanding to others in a clear and respectful manner. You can explain that you are having trouble comprehending the instructions and ask for clarification or additional support. It may also be helpful to suggest alternative methods of instruction that may work better for you, such as visual aids or hands-on demonstrations.